Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jul 1, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #811 of 1,201
I was considering a diffuse field DD to compliment my ER4SR, if one so exists, but as soon as I heard about the EVOs I shifted my attention away from the Hifiman RE800, Fiio FD1 and even the Campfire Honeydew. None of these are absolute neutrality like the ER4 but I'm okay with a lil coloration. Just more depth to the presentation and higher frequency reach.

The Etymotic ER2SE are definitely the dynamic driver equivalents to the ER4SR/ER3SE when it comes to tuning.

In my opinion, the HiFiman RE800 are quite overpriced for what they offer, mainly due to their very strong treble peak - I'd definitely pick my RE400i over them any day, along with my Fostex TE-02WP (also tuned very neutrally and among the most neutral dynamic driver in-ears, with excellent technical performance on top (even somewhat above the ER2SE in some areas) but with an audibly milder HRTF compensation in the presence range).

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #812 of 1,201

The Etymotic EVO proves to be the first iteration of an earphone from Etymotic from two fronts, it’s the first to not take on a cylindrical shape and first to utilize a multi-driver form factor. Etymotic steps away from their traditional target curve to focus on something a little more consumer friendly and fun. Granted this is not the first time they’ve gone this route with a pair of headphones as they have an entire line of XR headphones.

Design

The Etymotic EVO are really a handsome looking IEM utilizing an injection molded stainless steel housings with a gorgeous blue finish to it; it’s almost a gunmetal blue in color. The Ety name is etched into the faceplate of each housing with the new Etymotic ETy logo.

Estron T2/IPX connectors are used for cabling. Though the are a more rare connector type, they are not proprietary, but finding cables may still prove to be somewhat difficult. Adapters exist, but may not be perfect either. Counterfeit cables do exist on the market as well.

Sound

So the Etymotic EVO is tailored towards the XR-series of IEMs which have a larger bass emphasis. The EVO to my ears is the classic Etymotic target with a subtle warm tilt to it. The signature is very nice and a lot less fatiguing to listen to while still having all the detail and clarity that Etymotic is known for; it’s just not shoved in your face.

Starting down low, the EVO is still very tight with a nice defined impact. Though the bass body and presence has been improved from the SR/SE variations of Etymotic’s IEMs, it can still use a slight increase from that perspective. Bass texturing is subtle and there, though it feels like it’s been smoothed out; my ER4SR does a better job from that perspective.

Etymotic has always been known for their detailed and clear midrange historically. Fortunately, this is still true for the EVO, though it’s been dialed back a notch. The detailing and clarity come by a little less in your face, but a little more refined and controlled. There is a small trade off between clarity and smoothness; it’s welcomed though as it leads to a less fatiguing sound overall. The vocals follow this pattern over with the highest edge of vocals tamed slightly while still being able to retain the needed energy. Overall, things have a slight hint of warmth and smoothness to the midrange; it’s not huge, again slight hint.

Heading over to the highs, the treble is tamed a little bit as well over their ER4SR. Like with the midrange, it’s toned down, but not enough to affect the detailing and clarity that exists up top. Energy is cut off slightly, but not overly so. The result is a treble texture that is softer overall. The highs are still very energetic as a whole though; it’s just dialed back a touch.

I’ve never really felt that sound stage was a strength of the Etymotic IEMs I’ve owned. To be honest, the EVO is about the same. The instrumental separation and layering seems to be improved a tad bit over what I’m used to with my ER-series IEMs. The overall sizing isn’t much bigger. I really don’t get the sense of space with the EVO.

Note that my main testing was done through various DACs and amps: Apple Lightning-3.5mm adapter, DD HiFi TC35i, Oppo HA-2SE, V-Moda Vamp Vera and found the technicalities mostly unchanged (some were slightly warmer than others). The above is based on that testing (mainly Apple, DD HiFi, and Oppo). I also tested on two BT DAC/amps, the UE BT adapter and the Null Audio BT adapter. The UE BT adapter gave a very warm tilt to the EVO helping out much with the bass presence. The Null Audio BT adapter on the other hand added a ton of bass texturing and improved the presence; with this set up it’s one of the best headphones I have to render bass with.

Build

Etymotic’s build quality has never really been an issue; with the EVO, I feel this remains unchanged. The housings are metal tanks that are quite hefty and dense. The finish on them is very top notch. The included T2/IPX cable is ridiculously thin but doesn’t feel brittle or weak by any means. The gauge, look, and consistency of the cable reminds me of fishing line or maybe a thinner nylon guitar string. That said, for listeners that prefer a thicker cable, it is removable and thicker options do exist.

Etymotic includes both a hard-case as well as a soft carrying pouch with their EVO. The pouch is on the larger side of things made up of two materials, the front being a soft, tightly woven fabric and the back being a microfiber cloth. Both sides are stitched together with a draw string on top. The pouch is kind of interesting to be honest as it seems a bit large for the IEMs and any sort of portable use for that matter. The hard case on the other hand is like a hockey puck (maybe a bit thicker) and better suited for portable use. There is an insert that can be used to store the IEMs and wind up the cable. It’s removable if one doesn’t want to use it.

Overall, I don’t really have any real gripes with the Etymotic EVO. The housings feel very strong, sturdy, and dense. While the cable is super thin, it still feels strong as well. The provided cases seem more than adequate for portable use.

Comfort

Etymotic’s comfort has always been an area of debate as the deep fit isn’t for everyone. I’ve personally never really had an issue with it, it’s not comfortable, but also not uncomfortable to me. Though in the past, after an hour or so of listening, touch the housing of the IEM will be painful since the cable kind of just tries to yank the housing downward putting a constant strain on the ear canal. This problem is mostly resolved by moving to the over-ear cable guiding and having the IEM’s housing seat in your outer ear. It definitely improves upon their older cylindrical housing designs.

However, the EVO now requires a deep insertion to really work at all. While the older Etymotic IEMs could work with a shallow insertion (different tips required), the EVO won’t allow it as the housings just can’t be held by the tip alone.

Overall, for those that are able to use the older Etymotic IEMs normally, the new EVO is an improvement. It’s still not the most comfortable IEM around but it’s definitely more than adequate for me. I will say that the housings seat in the outer ear quite comfortably, so Etymotic has done their homework there.

Value

The EVO come in at a 500 dollar price point. This price point is very densely populated with many IEMs, both old and new, that offer fierce competition. Although I don’t feel like the new Ety punches well above its price point, it’s definitely on par with where it needs to be price-wise when it comes to sound quality. Build quality is absolutely top notch and definitely top of the line when compared to the competition. If you can get the proper fit, this is definitely an IEM that can hold its own in its price range.

Conclusion

There was lots of speculation and unknowns with this new Etymotic. It was the first non-cylindrical IEM from Etymotic and also the first multi-driver setup from them too. The latter is something a lot of people have been wanting from Ety for a long time. That time has finally come and the result is a very well-build IEM that sounds great and is more than adequate for the fierce competition in its price range.

Thank you for your review, including the effort on BT adapters. I do have a gripe on the many, many qualifiers in your sound section. I am no audio-veteran/authority, but the way I read it, it hollows your sonic assessment message? Feel free to correct my reading/interpretation skills.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #813 of 1,201
Thank you for your review, including the effort on BT adapters. I do have a gripe on the many, many qualifiers in your sound section. I am no audio-veteran/authority, but the way I read it, it hollows your sonic assessment message? Feel free to correct my reading/interpretation skills.
I’m not sure what you mean by hollows out.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #815 of 1,201
All i can say is Evo loves voltage. So use the mid/high gain setting in your portable amp or DAP,and got a sound-field can compare HD650.
Or tube it :)

They loved my LittleBear B4-X with an OPAMP upgrade (Burson V5i-D).

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #817 of 1,201
I mean it obscures your analysis by weakening all those statements. I suppose I wished you could be more explicit.
Audio isn’t binary unfortunately. I’m being as explicit as I can with how I describe the sound; it’s the primary reason why I’m using said qualifiers. Like I could go ahead and say that the EVO has excellent detailing and clarity, which it does. However, it being an Etymotic has its own connotations on what that actually means. Etsy are known for shoving the detailing and clarity right in your face; the EVO doesn’t do that. By comparison, an ER4SR would sound like it’s more detailed and has more clarity, but that isn’t to say the EVO is lacking in those characteristics. While traditional Etys have kind of gone fully one direction making seem more or less binary, the EVO isn’t quite at that level. The bass quantity has been improved, but at a cost; you don’t entirely lose out on stuff, but it could be better/improved.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #819 of 1,201
Audio isn’t binary unfortunately. I’m being as explicit as I can with how I describe the sound; it’s the primary reason why I’m using said qualifiers. Like I could go ahead and say that the EVO has excellent detailing and clarity, which it does. However, it being an Etymotic has its own connotations on what that actually means. Etsy are known for shoving the detailing and clarity right in your face; the EVO doesn’t do that. By comparison, an ER4SR would sound like it’s more detailed and has more clarity, but that isn’t to say the EVO is lacking in those characteristics. While traditional Etys have kind of gone fully one direction making seem more or less binary, the EVO isn’t quite at that level. The bass quantity has been improved, but at a cost; you don’t entirely lose out on stuff, but it could be better/improved.
Thanks for your elaboration; I know I cannot describe sound the way you do to many others here. I wished it could be more explicit, but that is obviously very hard to achieve.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #820 of 1,201
Thanks for your elaboration; I know I cannot describe sound the way you do to many others here. I wished it could be more explicit, but that is obviously very hard to achieve.
I think this is one of the reasons why the EVO tour is such a good idea.

In addition to differences in preferences, we all have our ways of describing how an earphone sounds, and our ways of interpreting written impressions/reviews. With this many people in the tour, hopefully those who are not able to audition it in person will be able to have a rough idea of how EVO sounds.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #821 of 1,201
I've heard EVO for quite awhile but haven't started any writings. I would say, EVO is different than the previous Etys i have/had. This time, overall harmonic is mellow. I, myself, don't suggest you to pair EVO with warm source as it tends to overly warm/soft ymmv.

A B with previous ety can give a a quick perception of the previous ety sounds more detailed. However, if you sit and listen. EVO carries all the details as well as the previous ety but in a different way. I would say, EVO has no more "in your face" presentation. Instead, this is musical ety while still doesn't sacrifice detail. Overall frequency for me is fine. Just be aware that, the sense of air on EVO is noticeably less than the previous ety.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #822 of 1,201
I've heard EVO for quite awhile but haven't started any writings. I would say, EVO is different than the previous Etys i have/had. This time, overall harmonic is mellow. I, myself, don't suggest you to pair EVO with warm source as it tends to overly warm/soft ymmv.

A B with previous ety can give a a quick perception of the previous ety sounds more detailed. However, if you sit and listen. EVO carries all the details as well as the previous ety but in a different way. I would say, EVO has no more "in your face" presentation. Instead, this is musical ety while still doesn't sacrifice detail. Overall frequency for me is fine. Just be aware that, the sense of air on EVO is noticeably less than the previous ety.
Very good points, IMHO. I got an ER4XR recently from Etymotic, and plan on comparing the EVO and ER4XR over the weekend.
From a brief initial listen, I agree that the ER4XR gives the impression of more air, but I think that is mostly true in the low mids (probably because of the extra bass from the 2 extra BAs). I think, and again from very initial listen, that the treble is as airy. More listen time needed for sure! :wink:

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #823 of 1,201
Etymotics website lists the EVO as having only a one year warranty as opposed to the cheaper er4 which has a two year warranty. Hopefully this is a mistake.
Screenshot_20210702-201157.png
Screenshot_20210702-201342.png

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #824 of 1,201
Etymotics website lists the EVO as having only a one year warranty as opposed to the cheaper er4 which has a two year warranty. Hopefully this is a mistake.Screenshot_20210702-201157.pngScreenshot_20210702-201342.png
Do you intend to buy or are you too busy finding everything to pick apart about the company? A years' warranty is pretty standard these days.

Turns out when you build your stuff well enough and have good QC, it's a non-issue.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #825 of 1,201
Do you intend to buy or are you too busy finding everything to pick apart about the company? A years' warranty is pretty standard these days.

Turns out when you build your stuff well enough and have good QC, it's a non-issue.
For one I'm not picking the company apart. Thanks for assuming anyway. You're too kind.

Its called doing research and asking questions before making a costly purchase. The er4 has a longer warranty even though its no longer the flagship.

Drivers fail and accidents happen. Its more important than you think, buddy. Especially at this price. Please be more understanding in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back