Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Jun 14, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #661 of 1,201
To clarify:
The 4 tour units did NOT ship with retail package. Therefore, some of the accessories (and ear tips) might be missing...
MY unit arrived with 2-flange tips only. I have asked my contact @ Etymotic to ship the tour units with both 2-flange and 3-flange tips.
Maybe @Precogvision or @shotgunshane can confirm what actually came with it?

Gobs and gobs of dual-flange tips!

I love this version of the BaX. The original BaX twisted and tangled like crazy but this newer version doesn't. Plus the black looks awesome. Does Linum make this cable with 2pin and MMCX connectors?

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #662 of 1,201
Jun 15, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #663 of 1,201
I don’t have a review sample, but do have a pair of headphones. My ears are small though (I’m small in general).

11F59D6F-1E7F-4B3D-BCBF-7EE2F745DDD2.jpeg
Username checks out

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #666 of 1,201
Ok, got my pair of EVO.

First impression is Coherent,Smooth,Transparency,Fast, no special warmness or coldness.
As a whole, that's amazing in this price range.

Even with Zenfone5, Evo can deliver a warm,fullness,balanced and PRaT sound, but the spatial feeling toward the old school"Flat earth" presence.(compressed front imaging,lack of depth)

Spatial feeling seems depend on front-end gear's ability to deal the HF decay proper*, or something about group delay.
( *my desktop gears,Topping D90 dac and DA&T HA3 amp)

In short, Evo' head-stage slight bigger than my Final A4000, both in wide and deep,and imaging more defined and believable .

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #667 of 1,201
Ironically this is how I used to do my distance running, though for distance stuff I'm heel-toe now. For sprints (which is what was more important to me) it was definitely all on my toes. Really doesn't solve the issue unfortunately. I guess YMMV.
Wow, wasn't expecting fellow barefoot 'experiencers'. Long distance running tends to heel-strike indeed. To be honest I rather don't run with ER-phones in; but also with walking I got a marked difference.
For whatever reason I don't get any bone conduction bumping.. oh wait maybe I know. I run in 5 fingers barefoot style and that means very low shock to the body.
I never ever run heel to toe, always forefoot strikes. Also I dont need situational awareness since:

1623717806467.png
Nice, equally amazed. It would seem situational awareness would be overkill there, probably you need all the attention for the running-mechanics on the rocks. Cheers

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #668 of 1,201
Ok, got my pair of EVO.

First impression is Coherent,Smooth,Transparency,Fast, no special warmness or coldness.
As a whole, that's amazing in this price range.

Even with Zenfone5, Evo can deliver a warm,fullness,balanced and PRaT sound, but the spatial feeling toward the old school"Flat earth" presence.(compressed front imaging,lack of depth)

Spatial feeling seems depend on front-end gear's ability to deal the HF decay proper*, or something about group delay.
( *my desktop gears,Topping D90 dac and DA&T HA3 amp)

In short, Evo' head-stage slight bigger than my Final A4000, both in wide and deep,and imaging more defined and believable .
"Flat Earth" presence; I estimate Mead Killion could get murderous tendencies when he sees that :p.
That sentence is a bit odd, probably you mean that the spaciousness is like the ER4? "Very 2-dimensional", according to Crinicle and others.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #669 of 1,201
Sorry I have not much experience about ER4 series, basically headphone guy.

Need some proper gear to driver EVO to got expand head-stage with both wide and deep.
Otherwise, Evo's imaging would very Forward and lacks depth. that's "Flat earth" means.

And this seems not simply about output power, but how front-end gear fed "proper" spatial info to EVO.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #670 of 1,201
Sorry I have not much experience about ER4 series, basically headphone guy.

Need some proper gear to driver EVO to got expand head-stage with both wide and deep.
Otherwise, Evo's imaging would very Forward and lacks depth. that's "Flat earth" means.

And this seems not simply about output power, but how front-end gear fed "proper" spatial info to EVO.
Sorry, I have little experience with proper gear to drive the ER4, though I think I notice some differences between my several computers and phones. `"\_(^_^)_/"`

I have thought before to get something like the bluetooth ES100 or so instead of the Etymotion; but I FOMO quality loss. I liked the idea of Shure's "True wireless TW1", but it needs a proper implementation, like more power/better DAC. Any other suggestions?

Off-topic: I got your "flat earth" nomer, it's funny. I guess other physicists get annoyed by the word :p Likewise I found "vacc-anti" funny; it sounds spoken like the Dutch word for "holiday".

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #672 of 1,201
Gobs and gobs of dual-flange tips!

I love this version of the BaX. The original BaX twisted and tangled like crazy but this newer version doesn't. Plus the black looks awesome. Does Linum make this cable with 2pin and MMCX connectors?

I had the same question so I contacted Linum, that's the answer:

We did have the 2Pin and MMCX versions in the early Linum days, however having developed the T2 connector system, which we believe has the potential to be the new industry standard, we decided to phase out cables with 2Pin and MMCX. We still have some of the “high high-end cables” with 2Pin and MMCX in stock, yet due to the relative many connector related failures when it comes to 2Pin and MMCX they will also be phased out.

We have made a T2 to MMCX adapter, thus it is a possibility to purchase a Linum T2 BaX cable and use it with the adapter. You can see the 2Pin and MMCX cables available as well as the adapter in our online shop.

Here is a picture from a review showing that even with the adapter, it is not much bigger than a traditional MMCX plug.
image002.png

If interested, you can read the full review/see pictures here, though in German only: https://kopfbox.de/testberichte/tes...und-music-high-end-inear-kabel-aus-daenemark/

Hopes this helps, though it was not entirely what you were looking for.

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #674 of 1,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back