Jun 7, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #557 of 1,201
How are
cable microphonics?
and
Footstep sound transmission?

Less that ER4 more or the same?

thank you.
From my review:
Compared to the ER2/3 cable and even to the better ER4 cable, the new thin cable is more resistant to getting tangled. In fact, it is probably the most tangle-free IEM cable that I ever had from any brand. Also, it handles microphonics much better than the previous cables, even when not looping around my ears. I rubbed the cable against my shirt on purpose, to test for microphonics, and happy to report I could not generate any :)
So that answers the microphonics questions :wink:
As for footstep transmission - I was mostly sitting down, but I did pace a little and nothing caught my attention in that regard. Will test again later today and pay attention to footstep transmission!

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #558 of 1,201
Balanced cable... OK, first let's please not start a debate whether or not it is sonically important. :) I agree Etymotic should offer balanced cable!
I will confirm with Etymotic, but to my knowledge: a balanced cable will be offered, just as a balanced cable is offered today for the ER2/3/4 IEMs.
I will try to get some timeline and price info for you guys.

Oh, they are sure to offer one. It just makes good business sense! Why? Because, as the old idiom goes, "a fool and his money are easily parted." There is money to be made!

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #560 of 1,201
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #562 of 1,201
Footstep sound transmission?
Just tested my ER4SR and EVO for footstep sound transmission, walking bare foot on a hard wood floor.
I am sorry to report that at least for me - they both have the same footstep sound transmission effect.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #563 of 1,201
Thanks for testing.

So kinda like thunder? loud?

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #564 of 1,201
Just tested my ER4SR and EVO for footstep sound transmission, walking bare foot on a hard wood floor.
I am sorry to report that at least for me - they both have the same footstep sound transmission effect.
That is bone conduction as opposed to microphonics. Both Ety have a similar a high seal so they will have bone conduction. We knew that would be the same going in. Over the ear cable routing only helps microphonics. If you want less footfall noise going up through the body you need less isolation. Earbuds don't have that problem :) Evo should do better for noise traveling up the cable but not traveling up your bones.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #565 of 1,201
So kinda like thunder? loud?

That is bone conduction as opposed to microphonics. Both Ety have a similar a high seal so they will have bone conduction. We knew that would be the same going in. Over the ear cable routing only helps microphonics. If you want less footfall noise going up through the body you need less isolation. Earbuds don't have that problem :) Evo should do better for noise traveling up the cable but not traveling up your bones.
@Pro-Jules have a look at @jant71 explanation. I believe he's right on.
Thunder or not - they're both the same in that regard... I personally do not think it is a big problem, but then again neither is the right choice for jogging :wink:

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #566 of 1,201
Fair points all. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #567 of 1,201

In my opinion, that's not too surprising since insertion depth is, in my experience and opinion, probably the biggest factor to how loud one hears that transmitted noise, and since Etymotic in-ears are supposed to be inserted deeper than pretty much most other in-ears, they transmit quite a lot of footstep noise. Well, that's the trade-off for the deep insertion that is, in my opinion, also one of the reasons why Etymotic's IEMs have such a super linear, smooth and realistic treble response reproduction.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #568 of 1,201
In my opinion, that's not too surprising since insertion depth is, in my experience and opinion, probably the biggest factor to how loud one hears that transmitted noise, and since Etymotic in-ears are supposed to be inserted deeper than pretty much most other in-ears, they transmit quite a lot of footstep noise. Well, that's the trade-off for the deep insertion that is, in my opinion, also one of the reasons why Etymotic's IEMs have such a super linear, smooth and realistic treble response reproduction.
It's worth noting that most of that goes away with foam tips. I really don't have any issues with the stock foams or the Shure Olives in terms of cable noise.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #569 of 1,201
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #570 of 1,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back