Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 25, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #451 of 1,201
Here is a photo next to my BLON BL-03 for reference:

1621973911988.png

This could possibly be a pic of the extremes of nozzle length with the Blon BL-03 known to have a very short nozzle (shortest?) and Etymotics at the other end know to have a very long one (the longest?) 😄

May 25, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #452 of 1,201
@EtyDave I'm curious about the "why" behind the particulars of the bass-boost on the ER2XR (why the corner frequency is where it is, why the sub-bass focus, etc) and the changes to that on the EVO (corner frequency lower than ER2XR at 100Hz, anything else?).

Was this based on some specific research / findings or just a matter of taste?
I really think the bass boosts are more similar than different if you're looking at the raw frequency response. I think the reason that the folks that have heard it say that it's a heavier bass presentation than they've heard from our other earphones is because the dual woofers in the EVO give a bit of a different feel (and dig a little bit lower in freq).

May 25, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #453 of 1,201
This could possibly be a pic of the extremes of nozzle length with the Blon BL-03 known to have a very short nozzle (shortest?) and Etymotics at the other end know to have a very long one (the longest?) 😄

The nozzle length is the same as our other earphones, which is good or bad depending on your perspective. :wink:

May 26, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #456 of 1,201
Once FR graph is provided by Etymotic - I will be able to use it as objective data, and point out differences from other Etymotic IEMs.
Unfortunately, there is no measurable way to show image retrieval, sound stage, etc. so those would have to wait until some people not associated with Etymotic get the EVO into their hands and write about it :)
I think that a tonal balance is the most important thing. If you do not like the tonal balance of headphones/IEM then the rest (image, details, soundstage) does not really matter.
So I hope that EVO still stays in the Etymotic camp for a close to Neutral tonal balance :wink:

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #457 of 1,201
Interesting. Do you mean similar to ER2XR or ER(3|4)XR?

Also my question still stands about the "why" behind particulars of the bass-boost on the ER2XR.
Have you heard of the Harman target frequency response? It is similar to the Etymotic FR, but has a clear bass lift/boost. As some people are complaining about the balanced armature timbre and/or the lightness of the bass/notes on ERs, I think Etymotic went a bit towards the Harman target for their XR series, on the bass-regime only.

It indeed sounds very nice (personal claim), and is (hand-wavy argument) reflected by more sales on the XR versions than the SR/SE versions.

May 26, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #458 of 1,201
Is it possible to pre order now? Any news?

May 26, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #459 of 1,201
Every serious manufacturer have its target curve, and design its headphone/earphone by this standard. Etymotic has its target curve, Beyerdynamic has its target curve, Sennheiser has its target curve,too, and they both make good product.

So If Etymotic didn't design Evo by "Harman target curve" at very first, IMO ,those "How close Harman target?" discussion somehow misleading.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #460 of 1,201
Every serious manufacturer have its target curve, and design its headphone/earphone by this standard. Etymotic has its target curve, Beyerdynamic has its target curve, Sennheiser has its target curve,too, and they both make good product.

So If Etymotic didn't design Evo by "Harman target curve" at very first, IMO ,those "How close Harman target?" discussion somehow misleading.
Maybe I am erring here, but it seems a reaction to my statement before. Maybe I should clarify that I was not talking about how close it is to the Harman target. I only mentioned that it makes a shift in the bass-frequencies more towards the Harman target's bass amplitude. While the Harman target is not everyone's, quite a number of people/companies would suggest it is a nice 'sounding' FR curve.

It think I prefer more the Etymotic's SR-curve, because of its realism/accuracy [to me].

May 26, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #464 of 1,201
Huh? Isn't Etymotic much more similar to Diffuse Field than to Harman?

@SXero was specially talking about the bass-boost on the XR line which is in fact similar to Harman bass-boost (see attached FR graph) . I didn't read it as them saying all Etymotics are tuned to Harman.

Attachments

• graph - 2021-05-26T165304.787.png
    graph - 2021-05-26T165304.787.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #465 of 1,201
I'm very familiar with it. I'm curious to know the thinking behind why Etymotic did what they did specifically with the ER2XR tuning and not have to speculate.
OK, of course you might ask about corporate strategies.
@SXero was specially talking about the bass-boost on the XR line which is in fact similar to Harman bass-boost (see attached FR graph) . I didn't read it as them saying all Etymotics are tuned to Harman.
Ok, good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back