Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Mar 18, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #121 of 1,204
Are you getting kinda hostile over me just guessing what it BA woofers are when there still no info how it performs. When 7mm BA woofers are the Knowles CV line up.

The Etymotic ER4XR uses a vented BA too.
in ur initial post (which you edited...kind of sus), you said the EVO’s dual BA woofers have more surface area combined than a 12mm dynamic driver.

just questioning the validity of ur statement, which seems to be false.

quick maths:

not sure which model the EVO uses, but researching some large Knowles BA dual woofers (model RDI-33438-000) gives a combined max diaphragm surface area of about 7.9x4.1x2 ~ 65 square mm. It will be less in reality since the unit dimensions are of the case and not the internals, for obvious reasons.

a 12mm dynamic driver has surface area of 113 square mm.

i can’t remember ur original post word for word (y u edit :frowning2: )but I think u were trying to use the surface area as a pro BA argument, and as a DD fan i had to slide in and correct the numbers.

not that the numbers mean much tho, obviously implementation and subjectivity are the main factors for personal enjoyment, and if u like BAs over DDs u have a ton of great IEM options. ymmv

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #122 of 1,204
Hi @EtyDave, I forgot to ask 2 things:
1) EVO's ETA still around April?
2) Is EVO a full-sealed IEM or there's a vent to balance the pressure out? I've tested a Sony full-BA IEM recently without any vent and the vacuum/suction effect was really annoying, so just wondering what we can expect about it.

TIA!
fingers crossed, a vented design. Im sick of M9 pressure feeling in my ears anymore.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #123 of 1,204
Hi @EtyDave, I forgot to ask 2 things:
1) EVO's ETA still around April?
2) Is EVO a full-sealed IEM or there's a vent to balance the pressure out? I've tested a Sony full-BA IEM recently without any vent and the vacuum/suction effect was really annoying, so just wondering what we can expect about it.

TIA!
Hi @rggz, answers below:

1.) While it's possible that they will hit in April, there have been a few small delays, so I kind of doubt it. Right now, given the state of things in the world, everything seems to be taking a bit longer.

2.) The shell itself isn't vented, but every BA I've ever used has a tiny barometric relief hole in the diaphragm itself. Without it, they stop working at altitude, which is annoying.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #124 of 1,204
@EtyDave

Will the EVO also come with individual FR graph printouts of each side (i.e. the performance certificate as known from the ER-4S and ER4SR/XR)?
No, they will not. The FR response printout is specific to the ER4.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #125 of 1,204
Vented BA drivers (usually the woofers) are nothing too unusual, but @qsk78 referred to vented shells on BA-only IEMs (which - as for the filter module solutions - is not even all that new and is long known from CIEMs which can be ordered with an "ambient" hole for stage musicians who prefer to have less isolation (either by leaving out the plug in the hole altogether or by using filters that decrease isolation somewhat), but usually results in reduced low-end quantity, whereas there are also all-BA IEMs that are sealed towards the front (the side that goes towards one's ears) but, for whatever reason, still have a small vent in the shell towards the outside that however usually does not have any influence on the sound (e.g. some Brainwavz IEMs, the Apple Dual-BA IEMs, Jays q-Jays, some Knowledge Zenith IEMs)). But as far as I know, @EtyDave mentioned somewhere that the EVO will not have those.

Yes, the EVO will not have an ambient filter. It is an isolating IEM design.

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #126 of 1,204
No, they will not. The FR response printout is specific to the ER4.
aw, the matching certificate is one of the things which makes Etymotic special...

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #127 of 1,204
Any update early April or end of April?

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #128 of 1,204
aw, the matching certificate is one of the things which makes Etymotic special...
Yeah, I do understand that, but we only ever did it for the ER4. It was intended to make that product special and we continue to do it for that model.

It's possible that it could change in the future, but it's not currently in the plan.

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #129 of 1,204
Any update early April or end of April?
As I mentioned above, it's possible that it will hit in April, but I'm not sure. End of April is certainly the best case scenario, but May is more realistic.

Nobody is more eager to get this out than I am, but it's not quite time yet.

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #130 of 1,204
As I mentioned above, it's possible that it will hit in April, but I'm not sure. End of April is certainly the best case scenario, but May is more realistic.

Nobody is more eager to get this out than I am, but it's not quite time yet.
Well, i have high hopes for this. Er2 was good but lacking the top ends and imaging&staging wise. Hope Evo will answer all of it in a complete 3 BAs package!

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #133 of 1,204
That unfair even a stock ER3XR sounds better despite less treble, Which just shows how detailed BA's actually are in my view.
I had er4. Top ends is better than er2, yes. But imaging and staging? Not even i guess. Comparing to b2 etc. At that price range. Im not touching kilobuck

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #135 of 1,204
You can measure it, right? :wink:
What you're asking for are highly subjective adjectives, related to the sound. How anyone can guarantee something like that? Or do you prefer Etymotic to become just like other brands on the market feeding public with snake oil?
staging and imaging wise arent snake oil. It is what it is. The ability to produce sound with spatial cues. I dont really think it is subjective. Yes, you cant measure imaging/staging like we cant measure our imagination. Ety lines up excels in almost everything but not really imaging wise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back