Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 1,201
Feb 7, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #19 of 1,201
Very interesting. I'm in the market for a IEM that is "DF neutral" that is not super deep seal and I've considered the Moon Drop Blessing 2 but now I just have to wait and see how this turns out. LOVE my 4SR but the fit is not always the best like in the winter with a hat that presses on the IEMs or in the high summer when I sweat like crazy.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #20 of 1,201
Feb 7, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 1,201
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 1,201
@EtyDave is there any good reason why new IEM wasn't designed with rotating nozzle? I mean, with ER4 design you can adjust angle insertion manually in order to achieve good seal. But that will not work for EVO due to its shape.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 1,201
@EtyDave is there any good reason why new IEM wasn't designed with rotating nozzle? I mean, with ER4 design you can adjust angle insertion manually in order to achieve good seal. But that will not work for EVO due to its shape.

Adding a rotating articulation would've made the whole thing bigger where the nozzle is attached to the body, which ultimately would've made for a worse fit and negated any advantage of the rotation, I think. It might have changed the acoustics as well.

Unless the EVO is filling up your entire concha, there should be a little bit of room for changing the angle and fitting it in your ear. You are probably correct that the straight in nature of the ER4 could work across more individuals, but some folks don't care for that form factor, either. It's difficult to make everybody happy.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #28 of 1,201
The EVO seems to be deep seal as well with the long nozzle, right?

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #29 of 1,201
Very interesting. I'm in the market for a IEM that is "DF neutral" that is not super deep seal and I've considered the Moon Drop Blessing 2 but now I just have to wait and see how this turns out. LOVE my 4SR but the fit is not always the best like in the winter with a hat that presses on the IEMs or in the high summer when I sweat like crazy.
Check out the Massdrop Plus. Bass is boosted just a little, but similar sound, with excellent fit and shells that don't stick out at all. A steal at the recent $150 price.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #30 of 1,201
Check out the Massdrop Plus. Bass is boosted just a little, but similar sound, with excellent fit and shells that don't stick out at all. A steal at the recent $150 price.

While the Massdrop Plus are generally nice IEMs, they are quite substantially bassier than the ER-4S/ER4SR/ER3SE/ER2SE, and also still a good bit bassier and warmer than the ER4XR/ER3XR as well (around 4 dB stronger bass compared to Etymotic's single-BA XR models), and also warmer in the root/fundamental range when compared to the ER2XR. They're more in line with a "warm v-shape with accurate mids" (due to the slight upper treble boost that they have as well) kind of tuning, and boast Campfire Audio Andromeda/NocturnaL Audio Atlantis quantity of bass, but with less thick lower mids than those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back