Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,021 of 1,201
Hi Evo fans,
Here an Etymotic fan. i have the ER4XR, my favorite iem and also the ER2XR with Etymotion Bluetooth that I use for on the go. I listen mainly to classical music, specially orquestral symphonic, like Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovski, Schubert, Mahler etc.
Anyone with the Evo and with the ER4XR would please care to comment on comparison between the two specifically for classical symponic music?
thanks in advance
The main thing that stood out for me was that during the rumble of drums (in any classical piece with substantial drum sets) the articulation is superior to the 4XR in that it isn’t just ‘bass’ but the layers of sub, lower, mid and high bass can all be picked out far more accurately and just as fast as the single drivers. I genuinely found the 4XR far too muddy. The 4SR seemed a lot more detail retrieving than the XR - perhaps even slightly more so than the EVO. The difference between the 4SR and EVO though of course being the impact and lush deep warmness of the sub bass region.

Have to say though I’m glad the 4XR are your top IEM. If you love them, you’ll be amazed by the EVO :)
I use mine with double-flange tips and twist both towards back of ear for that deeeeep seal. Works a treat with my tiny canals

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,022 of 1,201
Hi Evo fans,
Here an Etymotic fan. i have the ER4XR, my favorite iem and also the ER2XR with Etymotion Bluetooth that I use for on the go. I listen mainly to classical music, specially orquestral symphonic, like Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovski, Schubert, Mahler etc.
Anyone with the Evo and with the ER4XR would please care to comment on comparison between the two specifically for classical symponic music?
thanks in advance
There are a number of reviews of Evo here.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-evo.25225/

I also compared it to ER4XR including some classical music references. Now after I got the Evo for some time I still never use ER4XR any longer and they used to be my reference IEMs. I simply can’t go back.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #1,023 of 1,201
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,024 of 1,201
I decided to try the Evo with my home system today. Specifically, TIDAL master MQA to Schiit Bifrost2 then to a Schiit Lyr3 .
The EVO can scale a good bit from what I usually listen with (FIIO M11 Pro). Really impressive detail retrieval with very fast transient response and pinpoint imaging.

Overall very musical with no harshness, edginess, or weird coloration. The Lyr 3 is a tube hybrid. It seems to work really well with the Evo, taking the EVO’s excellent imaging into spooky 3D tube magic territory- not something I typically hear with the Lyr. Highly recommended combo.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,025 of 1,201
Just got mine yesterday - £330 from hifiheadphones.co.uk

Thought I'd post some pics of custom tips (from my ER4XRs) on the Evo. The long nozzle on the Evos are the same length and perfect for any ER4 custom tips. They fit on as expected, and fit my conchas snugly, with no issue with the Evo shell protruding. Compared to the ER4XRs, they are more difficult to get into my ears due to their size and form factor, but if you rotate the tips around the stem through 90 deg on the way in and before you get them out (otherwise the Evos pop out of the custom tips) it is quite easy. Custom isolation with Ety's latest and greatest reference universal IEMs. Merry Christmas all.

20211223_152733 by Leon Lobo, on Flickr
20211223_152743 by Leon Lobo, on Flickr
20211223_152753 by Leon Lobo, on Flickr
20211223_152802 by Leon Lobo, on Flickr

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,026 of 1,201
Dec 25, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,027 of 1,201
I’m hoping someone can answer a question for me- I bought my EVOs at the Irvine Can-Jam this year and I don’t remember who there was selling them. Anyone know?

Left earbud stopped working. At first I thought it might be the cable given how thin it is, but it was fine. it’s definitely the earphone.

Dec 25, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,028 of 1,201
I’m hoping someone can answer a question for me- I bought my EVOs at the Irvine Can-Jam this year and I don’t remember who there was selling them. Anyone know?

Left earbud stopped working. At first I thought it might be the cable given how thin it is, but it was fine. it’s definitely the earphone.
Hey there sorry to hear that. Have you tried the first steps of cleaning up the 3.5mm connector, trying another source and perhaps changing the filter on the left piece?

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,029 of 1,201
Haven’t changed the filter, but everything else yes. I don’t think it’s the filter though. I was listening to an audiobook while sitting and the left channel went from normal volume to nothing in a heartbeat.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #1,030 of 1,201
Have you tried swapping the cable connectors around to see if the fault moves? At least then you know if it’s cable or the left piece :)

Edit: just saw you said you thought it’s the cable but is definitely earphone. Did you find out by swapping cable left and right sides?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,031 of 1,201
Have you tried swapping the cable connectors around to see if the fault moves? At least then you know if it’s cable or the left piece :)

Edit: just saw you said you thought it’s the cable but is definitely earphone. Did you find out by swapping cable left and right sides?
Yup. Both cable ends worked in the right earphone, neither in the left.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,032 of 1,201
Yup. Both cable ends worked in the right earphone, neither in the left.
Seems your only option is to take it back (if you can find them) or contact ety to claim a warranty repair/replacement

Sorry you’re going through it. I’d be pretty annoyed if it happened to me. Love the evo!

If the housing was easily accessed we could go further but best get in touch with them first to save the headache and voiding anything :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #1,033 of 1,201
I just have to let this out one more time! Sorry for repeating myself.
But OH I love it every time I listen to music with the EVO's. I can't praise them enough.
People write a lot about the ER4SR and ER4XR and I want to use them from time to time, but it just becomes more and more clear how much better the EVO's are.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,034 of 1,201
Stupid question: do the EVO isolate just as much as the ER4 series?

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #1,035 of 1,201
Stupid question: do the EVO isolate just as much as the ER4 series?
That depends on the tips you are using. If you can get a good seal they isolate about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back