Etymotic Research ER-4P vs Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro : what to choose?
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

marcnyc

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a great AND accurate sounding pair of earphones that isolate sound well (so that I can listen to WAV files in the subway while on my iPhone) and that represent sound accurately (so that I can mix with them when I am on the road doing work on my PT laptop).

After a lot of reading and research I narrowed it down to these two pairs:
Etymotic Research ER-4P
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro

They are both in the $150-250 range and isolate about 25dB of external noise.

They get great reviews but I was wondering if there are any owners of them here or somebody that even tried them both and made a decision.
Your input would really be helpful because I am stuck in my decision making process...

Thanks a lot

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 3
I have both, used for different applications. I find the 5Pro's to be more to my liking if I'm out and about and want great sound. They isolate well and microphonics is limited, as compared to the ER4.

If I'm not moving around too much and want fantastic sound, I go with the ER4. I find them much more refined and accurate than the 5Pro's.

They serve well for different purposes. If, however, I had to choose just one, it would be the ER4 in a heartbeat.

My $.02.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 3
ER4 isolates better and is more accurate by a large margin. SFP is a bigger, fuller and more fun of a sound. With good equipment, amping, EQ etc ER4 has more potential as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back