Etymotic Research ER-4P - intial impressions
Mar 31, 2005 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hardbop

100+ Head-Fier
I've begun the search for my ideal headphone. I plan on auditioning as many cans from Headroom as I can order and return them, until I find the right headphone for my ears and the music that they enjoy. First, is are the Etymotic ER-4P's (http://etymotic.com/ephp/er4.asp). I chose these first so I have a little extra time to decide on an amp.

I received these canalphones from Headroom this week and I've been listening to them solidly for the past three days.

At the moment, I still haven't expanded my audio equipment, so I've only been listening to these on my iPod. My iPod contains songs from nearly every genre, encoded with LAME --alt preset extreme or Apple Lossless. I haven't done very much critical listening yet.

The delivery was prompt, coming in only 4 days, including the weekend. It was double boxed and the headphone storage box was in a sleeve. It was smaller than I expected, made of plastic with "Etymotic Research" stamped in red on the top. The latch is a long, rounded bump of a button. The insides are just as pictured. The carrying pouch I received was zippered and made of a combination of what I assume is pleather and velour. Inside is a small mesh pocket with a velcro fastener.

Inserting the canalphones as instructed on Headroom's website was quick and painless. The seal occured naturally and isolation was immediately achieved. It was slightly wierd to have something in my ear like that, but it wasn't necessarily uncomfortable. As I understand, these drivers don't need to be broken in, so I went directly to the music.

Simply put, the ER-4P's sound excellent. They are clear, articulate and very detailed. There is noticiable separation between the instruments and the notes themselves. The initial attack is detailed and the note's end is clearly audible, with emptiness between it and the next note. It's nice to hear all the little embelishments, intentional or not, and even the papers shuffling on the stands. On some of my newer CDs I've discovered parts I didn't know were there and even some instruments I hadn't heard in the music before.

The music sounds almost like it is coming from inside my own head. Left or right balanced parts break that immersion, but I haven't experienced any listening fatigue attributable to the lack of crossfeed.

There is plenty of bass impact for these ears and the bass hits are as articulate as I've heard them in person. It has made for a very nice sounding timpani and bass drum in classical pieces like Fanfare for the Common Man. The lower frequencies vibrate my ears and the bass has been punchy in some rock songs sometimes to the point of detracting from the higher end. Mostly, it is just enough representation for me.

Overall, these phones sound balanced throughout the frequencies. Vocals are clear, midrange is full and the high treble is bright. The few occurances in which the music sounded bad was easily fixed with an EQ adjustment.

Isolation is very good with these canalphones; however, isolation is very good with these canalphones. For me, it has been a blessing and a curse. I was able to enjoy the music in my apartment without being bothered by any outside noises, but I hope I haven't missed any phone calls at work. It is difficult to carry on a conversation while wearing them, which is exactly what I expected. Sound leakage is nonexistant, except with the loudest of cymbal crashes and even then the outside observer would have to be invading your personal space.

The sealing of the ear canals present a major problem, though. Quite a bit of vibration is heard through the bones, as are internal bodily sounds. Walking while wearing the 4P's proved to be too big a distraction; however, it was less so while wearing softer, lighter shoes. Still, I doubt I would be able to walk to work with these. Moreso, eating is an interesting study in mastication and digestion, another activity to avoid while trying to enjoy these headphones. Along with the microphonic chord, it is difficult to listen to them while moving around. They are best used in conjuction with sedentary non-activities, such as sitting, computing, lying in bed, etc.

I haven't found these canalphones to be uncomfortable, but I may just have iron ears. I listened to them throughout the work day, while at home and I've even slept with them in my ears. I've easily listened to them 8+ hours at a time with little fatigue. The tri-flanges are a great deal easier to use than the foam tips. The flange tips insterted easily and comfortably. The seal was easily achieved and they stay in place fairly well. Unless I tugged on the cord, it took a while for them to work their way out of position. They sound better and bass response was a bit more palpable.

The foam tips took a bit more work to get into place and even then, they came loose easier. Perhaps the medium tips are not a good fit, since they don't tend to go in as far. Perhaps this can account for the poorer sonic qualities as well. The plastic stalks tend to be uncomfortable, too, and have poked my ear canals a few times.

I think that about covers my original thoughts on the ER-4P canalphones. I'll cover more as I think of it. This review has been highly subjective, so your milage will vary.

Up next will be critical listening with as much music as I have time for.

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardbop
Simply put, the ER-4P's sound excellent. They are clear, articulate and very detailed. There is noticiable separation between the instruments and the notes themselves. The initial attack is detailed and the note's end is clearly audible, with emptiness between it and the next note. It's nice to hear all the little embelishments, intentional or not, and even the papers shuffling on the stands. On some of my newer CDs I've discovered parts I didn't know were there and even some instruments I hadn't heard in the music before.

The music sounds almost like it is coming from inside my own head. Left or right balanced parts break that immersion, but I haven't experienced any listening fatigue attributable to the lack of crossfeed.

I agree with just about everything you said except for the bass sometimes being punchy enough to detract from the high end...I never found that to be the case at all. On my setup, the highs were always clear and present no matter what music I was listening to or how I EQ'ed the bass. However, I totaly agree with your observations regarding the excellent clarity and instrument seperation, and also the part about the music sounding like it's coming from inside your head. It's definitely a different experience than using regular open or even closed headphones, but that doesn't mean it's unenjoyable!

I tended to prefer the black/grey foamies and never really had a problem with comfort. I thought that they were pretty easy to insert and my impressions were that the foamies had a bit more bass and slightly tamed highs compared to the triflanges. Right before I sold mine, I was using the triflanges more and more though (I finally figured out how to get a great seal with `em).

I'm glad you're enjoying yours so far. Take care of them and they should provide you with years of musical enjoyment!!

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 11
I too agreed with your comments. I'll add that it sounds like you have "good ears", and you will find that you will apprecieate the value of impmroving your headphone system, and you will be rewarded with sweet listening enjoyment.

I don't know if you've got your first welcome here so:

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
lambda.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 11
my ER-4P/S are, along with my Xin Supermini and my iPod, my constant companions. i love the phones absolutely, and they will probably stay my portable phones until the day when i can afford UE-10's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardbop
The sealing of the ear canals present a major problem, though. Quite a bit of vibration is heard through the bones, as are internal bodily sounds. Walking while wearing the 4P's proved to be too big a distraction; however, it was less so while wearing softer, lighter shoes. Still, I doubt I would be able to walk to work with these. Moreso, eating is an interesting study in mastication and digestion, another activity to avoid while trying to enjoy these headphones. Along with the microphonic chord, it is difficult to listen to them while moving around. They are best used in conjuction with sedentary non-activities, such as sitting, computing, lying in bed, etc.

I assume you've already attached the clip to the green Y-split? If not, I found it to greatly reduce the noises associated with walking. I positioned the clip high enough that I could rotate my head fully without any tension on the cord.

As far as sound quality goes, my impressions were very similar to yours. I came to like the foam tips better (actually, the small yellow shure foams seemed to fit best, maybe I have narrow diamater canals?)

Cheers,
Phil

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 11
After some weeks of using the EX-71 from Sony (I really liked them but sometimes the harsh hights really pissed me off), I switched to the ER4-P. My first impressions where a little disappointing: Lack of bass, thin sound (no "body").

But after finding out my "personal inserting technique"
biggrin.gif
they sounded spectacular: Very nice and clean heights without being harsh like the EX71. I heard details which I never heard before - even my good ol' HD 540 reference didn't show them.

The bass is definitively there
biggrin.gif
but it's not as deep as the EX71. I would say the bass is "neutral". In short words: I haven't to adjust the EQ of my H320 to get decent bass
smily_headphones1.gif

After 2 weeks of using these cans, I switched to the EX71 to compare these cans. Well after 20 sec of hearing the EX71 I asked myself how I was able to hear about 1 hour a day with the sonys. Their bass is deep but unprecise and the worst: The bass is present almost everywhere.... The heights are harsh and not very clean if you compare them to the Ety's.

So - until now the Ety's are the best headphones I ever heard (OK - my experience with headphones is - compared to some other members here - not very good, but I heard the EX71, HD540 reference, HD570 symphony, Shure e3c and of course the standard iRiver earbuds from Sennheiser
biggrin.gif
)

Greetings

Timo

p.s. after using the foams for some weeks, I switched back to the triple flanges. They isolate as good as the foams if you know how to insert them correctly (everyone has to find out which way of inserting is the best for him/her - the manual only has a standard-how-to). They are also easy to clean and don't hurt your ears when you insert them
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellknight[FA]
The bass is definitively there
biggrin.gif
but it's not as deep as the EX71.

the last word i'd use to describe ex71 bass is "deep." to me, the mid and upper bass dominates everything, sloppily so, and the deep bass is almost nonexistant.

but i will agree that the ety bass is "neutral."

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
the last word i'd use to describe ex71 bass is "deep." to me, the mid and upper bass dominates everything, sloppily so, and the deep bass is almost nonexistant.

but i will agree that the ety bass is "neutral."

Well, I didn't know how to describe the German word "bass-betont" so I simply used "deep". Perhaps I should use "bass pronounced" ?
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 11
I use the foamies exclusively, and can appreciate the 'prodding the ear canal'
comment, it reeeeally grabs your attention when that happens!
eek.gif

Worst time I did the above was when I was messing with the fit whilst
walking and stepped off a curb...OUCH.[insert eyes watering smiley]

Setmenu

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Good impressions. I haven't been able to get a good seal with the tri-flanges at all, but the foamies work fine. They (I use the ER-4P unamped) are ever-so-slightly brighter than what I would call neutral, and seem to have a "smilie" shaped EQ - slightly jacked-up upper treble and lower bass, which makes the mids and midbass especially seem a little bit recessed. They also have a slight upper midrange glare, perhaps due to the treble peak. On the whole, though, they're very nicely neutral. Definitely not bass deficient in any sense. A lot of the bass deficiency happens upstream of the Ety's - and if you're claiming that they have no bass, then most likely a) you're not getting a good seal and/or b) it's your player, not the Ety's, that has no bass. They will give you a fairly literal picture of your player.

They are also mercilessly revealing of compression artifacts. Listening to mp3's and lossy wma's, you can hear the characteristic whistliness and hollowness in almost every note, as well as the grainy and inaccurate transients that compression produces. Now this is with 320k mp3's and wma's - you can just imagine what lower bitrate encodings sound like. I'm beginning to find 192k unlistenable. With wave, a lot of the problems are gone - but then again it's wave. With a Zen Micro, I don't really have that much room to cart tons of waves around.

On that note, I find that the Micro's EQ is unusable in most cases. That's not the Micro's fault per se, as it obviously wasn't designed with this kind of a revealing earphone in mind. The Ety's will pick up every tiny little bit of distortion the EQ introduces into the sound, and if you're trying to listen critically or just want smooth seamless sound, you find yourself turning the EQ off really fast. This isn't so much of a problem in the Micro specifically as it is in portable mp3 players in general - their EQ sucks.

Microphonics I find are reduced a lot by the shirt clip, and what's still there is largely ignorable. I use them when walking around a lot, and it still doesn't bother me, though I do notice it's effects always.

In terms of overall detail, imaging, and instrument separation, these are the best I've ever heard. The Stax SR-001 will beat the pants off them in overall bass and mids quality, as well as soundstaging, but for what they do well, the Ety's are one tough customer. If you value their strengths, chances are you will not find a better portable anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back