Etymotic Question... (Advice needed!)
Jul 26, 2002 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xHrDcOr3x

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on getting a pair of Etymotic ER4-S to use mainly with a portable source (+ TAh). Should I go with the ER-4S or the ER-4P + "ER-4P->ER-4S Cable"? Do they sound exactly the same? I'm worried about the microphonic effect since I'll probably use them while walking to school. Or, maybe should I go with another full-sized closed headphone to avoid that problem?

Thanks in advance,

[ H r D c O r 3 ]

Jul 26, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 7
xHrDcOr3x
HI: For portable use you dont need full size cans. There are the eggos mid size and fold up and for portable use. As far as the er-4p goes they are easy to use on portable stuff. I use the koss-35 for 35.00 and they are great for portable use. Think it over and maby do a search on some different cans. But if you are walking to school you might need to be aleart and the koss-35 would allow just that.

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 7
I own both KSC-35 & 4Ps. KSC-35s sound good when I listen to them at home but they are open design so don't sound so great on a noise environment such as on the subway. I really treasure the isolation from the crowd when I use my 4Ps. Just close my eyes then I am in my own world of beautiful music presentation. Microphonic effect? sadly, it's present in every ETY. I stand still on the subway most of time so that didn't really bother me much. And if I walk, the produce quite irrectating microphonic effects. Oh yes, you can hear wind blow into your HP cords (sounds like it anyway). So be warned. As with most things, there are tradeoffs to be made.

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 7
I vote for the Sony D66 Ego or Koss KSC35.

You need to be alert when walking to school, you would want to kill yourself if anything happened to your Etys, and the microphonic cord will be annoying while you walk.

Get something cheaper for when you are on the move and get Etys for when you can sit down.

IIRC, the Etymotic ER6 is less microphonic. Plus it is less expensive. However, it still blocks out out a fair amount of noise, which could be a real problem while walking to school.

I use the Koss KSC35 for when I need to be alert. I save my Etymotic ER4Ps for when I can just sit and enjoy them.
cool.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I love my Ety ER-4Ps, but I cannot recommend them for walking around; there is too much microphonic noise when you move around and they are too isolating in a situation in which you should be paying attention (e.g. walking to school.) My Sony D22 eggos sound pretty good, but nothing near the Etys. I also vote for the D66 (significantly better sound, I've read) or the KSC35.

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 7
I use my Etys on the subway every day and then I walk for several blocks. No other set of phones compares for this use. The danger of isolation aside (sure, I almost got hit by a bus once, but it was the bus' fault, I swear! And besides, most people almost get hit by bus in NY), I don't find the microphonic effects that annoying. I don't think it can be overstated how much it helps to simply loop the cable once around your ear. Once I did that, the loose cord could hit against my chest while walking and I could barely hear anything. If you haven't tried that, you should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back