Etymotic P->S adapter question
Feb 8, 2004 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gort

100+ Head-Fier
Is ER-4P with the S adapter good as ER-4S? I can believe it can be almost as good but good as the real thing? And if ER-4P with S adapter is just as good as ER-4S, why is Etymotic still selling 4S version?

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Is ER-4P with the S adapter good as ER-4S? I can believe it can be almost as good but good as the real thing? And if ER-4P with S adapter is just as good as ER-4S, why is Etymotic still selling 4S version?

Yes. They are electrically identical. However, some people don't like the extra part of the extra cost, and that is why 4S is sold. (If you really don't need the 4P, the solo 4S is a better bet.)

Feb 8, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Yes. They are electrically identical

Is electrically identical equal identical sound? I sort of have my mind set on ER-4S but wondering if ER4-P with the S adapter has exact same sound. If that's the case there is no reason to buy ER-4S. Is the adapter made by etymotic? I don't see it on their website. How can it be identical if it was made by different company?

I don't see how S adapter will bother anyone since people will be using a portable amp in a some type of bag.

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 8
The ER4P and ER4S use the same drivers. the ER4P has 27 Ohm resistors in the cable, ther ER4S has 100 Ohm resistors in the cable. The adapter has 75 Ohm resistors in the cable making the ER4P plus adapter almost the same (27 Ohm+75 Ohm =102 Ohm)

See this link
Etty ER4P/ER4S

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Is electrically identical equal identical sound? I sort of have my mind set on ER-4S but wondering if ER4-P with the S adapter has exact same sound. If that's the case there is no reason to buy ER-4S. Is the adapter made by etymotic? I don't see it on their website. How can it be identical if it was made by different company?

I don't see how S adapter will bother anyone since people will be using a portable amp in a some type of bag.

Yes, yes, yes. I have a P, S, and P>S adapter; both sound the same. It's just a resistor change, nothing else.

Feb 8, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Is the adapter made by etymotic? I don't see it on their website. How can it be identical if it was made by different company?

If you go to the Etymotic site, click on the ER-4P, then click on Accessories, it's there on the bottom.... I personally carry the 4P around with me and save the P/S converter cable when I'm able to listen at home/work (i.e., quieter situations) or on better equipment. I prefer *not* to carry the cable around, lest I lose it. Although I do prefer the sound of the 4S, the 4P is preferable for portable situations IMO. Getting the 4P with the adapter cable is a little more money, but gives you the best of both worlds.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by wildeone
If you go to the Etymotic site, click on the ER-4P, then click on Accessories, it's there on the bottom.... I personally carry the 4P around with me and save the P/S converter cable when I'm able to listen at home/work (i.e., quieter situations) or on better equipment. I prefer *not* to carry the cable around, lest I lose it. Although I do prefer the sound of the 4S, the 4P is preferable for portable situations IMO. Getting the 4P with the adapter cable is a little more money, but gives you the best of both worlds.

The only problem is that the cable is massively overpriced for what you get -- the resistors are pennies and the cable and the adaptors are are a buck at most. If can make your own, that is definitely the way to go.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 8
It depends on if you can do an elegant job. I find the convertor cable easier to manage than my standard conversion boxes.

This is with the proviso though that I can't really see the point of the "S" in a portable context, even if your portable/portable amp can drive the "S".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back