ETYMOTIC new tips - A Silent Surprise
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently, after an upsetting stint with Complys, I ordered new stock ER-4 stock black foamies directly from ETYMOTIC.

At first I didn't realize the changes but then the sound made me realized that there's some subtle change compared to the previous tips which I am very familiar with.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that they are not as dark as the typical ones I owned (tons of them). They are rather grayish and closer to Complys color.

Most importantly, the rubber tubes seem to be smaller. Just look at the pic below:
ETYMOTICTips.jpg

The newer tips are on the right side. And as seen here, the rubber tubes does looked smaller. And yes, this is the side that face out so I can confirm that the older black foamies does not suffer from enlargement due to insertion.

So how exactly are they different? well for starters the highs are not as spiky as before. It does seem that Ety have realized that the very same brigthness that people loved about them is also a curse more some. The newer tips introduce balance which does not supress the highs. Unlike the Complys, which have similar plastic tubes, the sound don't get darkened.

All in all, I kinda like it now. Listening fatigue is no longer an issue.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just considering ordering a selection of ER4 tips to restock. I will be buying some more 14F for sure.

Thanks. A little less etchy/spiky can't hurt.

Remember to ask them to send you samples of the new glider tips as well. I forgot to ask so I didn't get them.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 47
I saw that thread with impressions on the gliders. They look odd but will give them a try. I hope they are still giving sample when I get around to ordering. I still have 2 new pairs of the "old" type of foamies but I want to try these new ones.

I've been using small silicone tips from my E4 for a change, using the ER4 outside where my fingers aren't always clean enough to squish foamies.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 47
My ER4P came with those tips on the right. I have never see the others on the left before.

Decent bass but the foam were just slighly too large for my ears and so didn't fit that great. Tend to fall out.
Still I find them way better than the tri flanges in my ears.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayajin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ER4P came with those tips on the right. I have never see the others on the left before.

Decent bass but the foam were just slighly too large for my ears and so didn't fit that great. Tend to fall out.
Still I find them way better than the tri flanges in my ears.

How do you mean they were too large? If you roll them in your fingers they become very small diameter wise. They are long but they should be able to insert deep into the canal.

I can't imagine these big black ety tips falling out, at least not for me. These tips work great for me, they will stay in for up to 8 hours if I need.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you mean they were too large? If you roll them in your fingers they become very small diameter wise. They are long but they should be able to insert deep into the canal.

I can't imagine these big black ety tips falling out, at least not for me. These tips work great for me, they will stay in for up to 8 hours if I need.

Well it’s a bit while I did use these and ER4P but I have right now refreshed my mind and used them a bit now.
I can insert them like you said and stay but they get immediately too much uncomfortable when the foam expands. That’s why I mean they might be tad large for my ears.
Especially my left ear, where I tend placing them less deep into ear and then I remember it did a time lose to seal and simply fall out.
Don’t worry. If placed deep enough I am sure they will be hard to fall out like you said.
I just feel they pushing my ear canals too much. I still have not small ears though.
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 47
In my experience the grey foamies are inferior to old-style black both in SQ and comfort.
First of all the ER4S never sounded harsh or lacking of bass to me. Maybe that's because I don't listen to over-bright brickwalled recordings. The new foamies have problems with treble which is especially noticed in orchestral recordings where it leads to mashing up of instruments instead of clear timbral separation. What is worse, the new material deforms the openings of plastic tube when pushed into the ear canal so the tonal balance degrades even more.
Since I ran out of black tips I was forced into using triflanges. Less comfort, more microphonics, but, IMHO, the best sound from ER4S.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tygger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I ran out of black tips I was forced into using triflanges. Less comfort, more microphonics, but, IMHO, the best sound from ER4S.

Which is something I am considering to do now as well. The foamies are good for the first week only. Then they lose the characteristic that made them good.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about picking up a pair of Etys for some time now and after reading this, I'll consider the tips if I decide to pick them up.

Hey no worries. The ER-4 sound can change a lot by simply swapping the tips. Just last night I decided to retry the long Complys and this time I am careful about inserting them. They are not bad after all. I have more comments on them in another thread

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare with the Comply tips?

Comply tips expand more slowly and put less pressure on the ear compared to olives. I think they are more comfortable, and also easier to remove (the olives give a tighter seal). On the downside, comply tips get dirty and wear out pretty fast. I don't like to change tips often (they're expensive) or walk around with dirty looking tips, so I prefer the olives (I use them on both iM716 and ER-4). The difference in comfort isn't that big, really. Also, the olives are easier to push in deeper than the complys after the initial insertion. I guess this is because they are a little bit stiffer and also their (IMHO superior) shape.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comply tips expand more slowly and put less pressure on the ear compared to olives. I think they are more comfortable, and also easier to remove (the olives give a tighter seal). On the downside, comply tips get dirty and wear out pretty fast. I don't like to change tips often (they're expensive) or walk around with dirty looking tips, so I prefer the olives (I use them on both iM716 and ER-4).

Which olives fit the Etymotic barrel best? Shure E2/SCL2????? Others?

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which olives fit the Etymotic barrel best? Shure E2/SCL2????? Others?

The ones I got (the most recommended) are EABKF1-10M. They fit all Shures except E2 and similar models.

They are easy to put on (they can be stretched very far), but can be very hard to remove. (The inner tubing is quite thick and doesn't seem to lose its elasticity much when stretched.) I think they are responsible for several cracked E4 stems.

I'll probably use a scalpel or similar to carefully slice the tubing open when the time comes, to minimize the risk of damage. It's not like I'll be using the worn out tips anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back