Etymotic HF5 vs. Shure SE215
Dec 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

So my Etymotic HF5s are starting to give up the ghost (the wire insulation is starting to split right next to the actual IEM housing on the left ear - it's taped up for now and still working, but it's probably only a matter of time) so I'm considering jumping over to Shure SE215, for the replaceable cable if nothing else.

How do the two stack up? It looks like the SE215s might have more bass, which is cool, because the HR5s are a little weak in that department. How do the SE215s stack up in terms of clarity though? I really love that crisp, clear, Etymotic sound. I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Justin 

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 4
For anything that isn't super bass heavy I find the SE215 to fantastic. Excellent midrange, punchy (not SP bass). Treble is not harsh at all at least from my sources (although at 50 my treble might be different from younger ears). I find them very good for alternative/indie/rock/classic rock/punk. Unless your a basshead these do very well with the genres I mentioned (for me) considering the price. Additionally there is an obvious upgrade path if you like their sound signature (SE535 baaaaaaaaby!). I don't know how they compare to your HF5s but that is my impression of them.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 4
I suggest the Vsonic GR07BE. Just check out its reviews. You can get it for $130 with free shipping here:

http://www.lendmeurears.com/

Here's a review of SE215 vs GR07BE from a forumer who own both:

From: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630585/vsonic-gr07-bass-edition-impressions/1815#post_10052250
  1. metabaron

I have both and the Shure don't even come close. The SE 215 are good for what they are, fun headphones for people that want a warm, not critical listening. They are outclassed by the V Sonics on pretty much everything, is not even a contest. In fact, they are not the best in their price bracket, and in fact even headphones that are cheaper, like the Dunu's Landmine, are better. Of course, personal preference plays a huge part in our selection, and you might prefer the Shure's sound signature. So they are not better but you might end up enjoying them more.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Vsonics are high on my list! I do enjoy the Shures but they definitely lack bass on certain artists/genres. They make up for it with their other strengths and relatively low cost. Plus they were available locally and, of course, I couldn't wait.
smily_headphones1.gif
 I also thought if I liked the sound sig there was a good upgrade path with their other models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back