Etymotic HF5 now with different cable?
Jun 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

earplug

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought the Etymotic HF5 (Ruby color) direct from Amazon. I had another one that I sold two months ago because I needed the money. I liked it though, so I decided to buy it again since Amazon had it for $99.99.

This new one that I got seems to have a different cable. The plug is angled, and the cable feels different. The old HF5 had a straight plug. I also like the cable on this new HF5 better; the quality seems to be higher than the old cable. It seems similar to the cable on the Ety MC5 cable. I did try out the MC5 late last year, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that cable. But it does seem the same from what I can remember.

Is this a new thing? Anyone else get the same cable?

Here's a pic of the HF5 I got directly from Amazon:

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 8
It wouldn't surprise me if Ety decided to change the cable on the HF5. There were reports of problems with the old cables breaking or shorting out.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 8
I really like this new cable. I wasn't expecting it at all, so it was a real pleasant surprise when I opened up the packaging. I think it will hold up better than the old cable. I guess it was good thing that I sold my old HF5, otherwise I would have never bought this new one.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I really like this new cable. I wasn't expecting it at all, so it was a real pleasant surprise when I opened up the packaging. I think it will hold up better than the old cable. I guess it was good thing that I sold my old HF5, otherwise I would have never bought this new one.

Well, Ety might have sent you a new one if your other pair broke under warranty 
etysmile.gif
 But I'm glad they did something to hopefully fix the cable problems of the older units.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 8
I've had my HF5 for about 6 months now and it has the same cable & strain relief as your new Ruby one pictured.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 8
On the Etymotic website under the features of HF5, it is stating a kevlar re-inforced cable which was NOT what this product started out with.

Also, it is saying that the drivers are matched.  This use to be a key difference between ER4 and HF5 so if Ety is matching the HF5, plus with the new cable, this is a damn good product!  For the price I thought they sounded great when I had the original model. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Update: Just received the pair of HF2's I ordered, and they have the new cable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back