Etymotic HF5 cable starting to split! Help!
Dec 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Punky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

So I've got a pair of Etymotic HF5s that are about 3 years old or so. The cable insulation right near the IEM housing has split open. It's not bad now, and it still works, but it's clear that this is going to be a problem (the same thing happened to my wife's Etyomtics). Is there anything I can do about this? I've got it taped up right now, but I'm sure that won't hold forever. Do you have any suggestions? Should I try using rubber cement or something?

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 3
The same happened to mine after about a year of purchasing them. The insulation split right next to one of the ear pieces. They continued to work but had them replaced under warranty. It was disappointing as I had taken really good care of them.

I think it's a common problem and don't know if has been resolved. I do hope so as I think they are a fantastic pair of earphones. I use mine virtually all day every day during the working week.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah! That's exactly how I used mine. It must be a manufacturer's defect in the insulation. I'm sending mine back in. I made the warranty return period by SIX DAYS. Lucky. Though I won't have IEMs over the holiday, which is less lucky. Luckily I have some big bulky DJ headphones that can also double as earmuffs during the cold wintertime! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back