Etymotic hf5 Alternatives
Aug 11, 2009 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of hf2/hf5 earphones, but had to return them because deep insertion is just not my thing. I loved their SQ and frequency response, but couldn't deal with the discomfort that they caused after extended usage.

I would be willing to sacrifice isolation for comfort, and am looking to stay under $200. I've read dozens of reviews and comparisons, and I've come up with these alternatives:

Head-direct RE0 : Neutral, extended bass and treble that lacks "information", serious durability issues with the fabric cabling and housing cracks.
Phonak PFE : Comfortable, very similar to ety sound but with more bass with same level of quality, plastic casing issues.

Price differences are not an issue, I'd like to focus on build quality and sound, microphonics not an issue, all genres of music listened to.

Thanks all.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 11
You could've stuck with the HF2/HF5 and gotten different tips, especially given your pleasure with the sound signature. Discomfort is probably one of the easiest things to rectify in IEMs with a comfortable foam or soft silicone. Though granted, a shallower insertion would make them look pretty weird given the length of their armature tubes..

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 11
I tried all the supplied tips, along with Shure olives. I found the mushroom grey foams comfortable, but wearing them shallowly had them stick out, which wasn't acceptable.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0

I'm a fan of Chinese hi-fi, but this re0 seems to have serious cabling problems, as per clieo's re0 thread.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't think the RE0 lacks information anywhere in the range, especially not the treble.

No durability issues here, either - I've had cloth cables in the past (Lenntek Sonix, Maximo Im-590) and they stand up to abuse no worse than other cables. Neither have I heard of housing cracks with the RE0s being a serious issue. The housings are metal and feel very well put-together. I think only one person had this problem in the appreciation thread.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 11
The hf2 has an inline mic and control. Everything else about them is the same if I remember correctly, save for the tips that they are packed with (hf5 has baby blue mini triflanges, hf2 has small translucent colorless triflanges). Considering that these both are usually marked at 90% of the SQ of the ER-4P, they're good deals in my mind.

Further reading has brought the Denon C710 as a possible option, with superior low end extension and clarity, larger soundstage, added durability and accessories, and less treble extension and clarity.

May 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 11
maybe try the UM-1s? I find them to be very comfortable, even for long periods of use. I use either shure olives (best comfort) or the shure grey silicone tips for better seal and isolation, and while its not as comfortable as with the olives, the difference is not far off. I am not exactly sure how to describe the sound but relative to other IEMS i've heard i find my UM-1s to be quite neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back