Etymotic HF2 vs HF5
Jun 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tefloon

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a replacement for my deceased RE0s. These two IEMs caught my attention. Is it worth paying a $20 premium for the HF5s? What differences could I expect in sound between these two?

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 7
exact same iems except one has a mic and the other doesnt, so sound is 100% identical. So, if you need a mic, go for the HF2s, other wise, hf5s

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 7
I've had the RE0, and prefer the HF5 in several areas: sound, durability, and isolation.  I use the Shure black foam ("Olives") tips with my HF5 and the comfort is just supurb.  Very much worth the extra $$.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Lol, yeah, I need to take a pic with the Shure Olives on them!

Like the RE0, they are not bass heavy-weights, but when the music calls for low bass extension, the HF5 is capable.  The HF5 does have more bass impact (air-movement in your ear) than the RE0 did for me -- in the end, the lack of impact was why I sold the RE0.  And lastly, the HF5 really handles busy music well, nothing ever get's muddy.  Radiohead's "National Anthem" is a good example, if you know that song -- at the end with 3-4 horns going crazy, you can still hear the bass line and that Ondes string instrument under all the horns.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
I also use Olives on mine. In addition to the crazy isolation, the olives also adds more "body" to the bass, which is lacking with every other type of tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back