Etymotic hf2 Soldering Question
Apr 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GreenPlastik

New Head-Fier
So the right driver on my Etymotic hf2 iPhone headphones just gave out. So I started huffing and puffing and being annoyed, but then I decided to do something about it. So I clipped the plug and stripped off all the plastic to prepare to solder the connections back on myself. I know the iPhone pinouts (Apple iPhone headphone jack adapter pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru). The problem is that I can't seem to figure out what color wire goes where. The four wires are as follows: red, greenish blue, brass and darker brass (the only one wrapped in clear plastic tubing).

Does anyone have an idea of which is which (left, right, ground, mic)?

Also, if I end up getting the connections wrong. What's the worst thing that could happen. Could I short out my phone?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 3
GreenPlastik,

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm in the same situation - have the pinouts, but have no idea which wire is which. I'm guessing clear tubing = microphone, red = right, blue = left, and copper = ground.

Would really appreciate it if you can confirm or correct this guess.

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Dunno how safe this would be, but you could grab a little 1.5V battery and tap the wires against the battery terminals and hear for a response on the earphones. You should be able to identify left, right and ground. Once you've got those, the last one would be mic, since they'd all be using the one wire as ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back