Etymotic HF2 - Durability?
Jul 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought this from Amazon and still waiting for it to arrive. Bought it cause it's cheap now, but after reading reviews here and there, I came across quite a few user comments saying their HF2 broke after a few months and this got me worried.
Are they really that fragile, or do you think they broke because those people are rough with the earphones?

Any owners of HF2 would like to share their experience in this regard? Thanks!

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 22
i have HF5 and they haven't failed me yet. I think you would be very pleased with Etymotic products. I'm going to be honest i don't really treat my HF5s very well but man they can take a beating (because of work). i should treat them better

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 22
My hf5s have given me no trouble yet -- haven't had them terribly long but the cable feels sturdy enough. I'm not entirely sure what I think of the strain reliefs, but they seem competently built.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 22
HF2/3/5 are pretty durable... just don't snag them on anything and when you remove them pull on the housing, not the cable. It also helps to remove them slowly from your ears since the deep insertion means they'll fight you on the way out.

Other than that, they should be pretty durable. The jack and cable are tough.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 22
The HF2 has been around for a while (since the debut of the original iPhone). Most of the reviewers complaining about durability own the earlier build models. The later models have an updated cable with a curved plug (rather than the original straight plug) and a kevlar-reinforced cable. On top of that, Etymotic offers a 2 year warranty.

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks guys, that's good to hear. I know we have 2yr warranty but sending them back and forth might have cost the same as the earphones themselves. Hope that I'll get the new version one. Should I worry about fakes for this model?

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 22
Nope, there are no fake etymotic research heaphones yet.  I've heard that ER's warranty is very good and sometimes they'll replace your headphones even if they're out of warranty.  I've personally used a pair of HF5's for nearly 2 years with no problems too.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 22
I see. Funny, I wonder why there's no fake ones whereas something like Sennheiser CX300 (which I also bought, and on its way, lol) are so widely faked and they really looked like real ones...

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 22
It's much more difficult to fake balanced armature headphones, especially with the tiny size of ER headphones.  You wouldn't be able to stuff a cheapy dynamic speaker into something the size of ER's headphones.  Etymotic Research also isn't as well known or popular as many other brands such as Monster or Sennheiser so it would be more profitable to fake those.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 22
I too have a pair of hf5s. Bought them back in January, and appear to be in fine working condition as well. Just need to change the tips, because of residue stuck on them :p

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 22
hey guys i'm considering the HF series because the bass on the dr dre tours are a little too much i have to say. 
how is the bass on the HF series?  I enjoy the amount of bass on the klipsch S4 series.  Would you know if it is better that the S4s?
and any opinion on the HF series would be appreciated! :)

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 22
The bass on th HF's is about as minimum as it possibly gets.  There's not nearly as much bass as the S4's.  If you liked the S4's, you might want to look into the brainwavz m2's or m3's.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 22
Actually I just got the HF2 today. Beautiful IEM. Bass is definitely there, very controlled and accurate, not exaggerated. The trick is of course getting the perfect seal.
But I am amazed with the amount of details and separation I get from this IEM compared to my previous run of the mill Sennheiser earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back