Etymotic fails. Need a new IEM.
Jan 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

iHelp

500+ Head-Fier
Just recently, my ER6i broke down with some cable damage, and later, no sound came from the right channel. I contacted Etymotic, but their pitiful warranty put the problem as "wear and tear", so the warranty is void.
angry_face.gif

So, it's time to start anew. An IEM with good isolation (at least -25dB), clarity, comfort, and good unamped from my iPod. I listen to rock, electronica, rap/hip-hop, and alternative. Price is ~$100 USD. MAX $120. Most importantly, it MUST have a durable cable and the cable must be at least 5 feet.

Any suggestions?

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 20
Oh, and I forgot, but I don't want used.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if you can get Triple.Fis in the FS forum as they have replaceable cables.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 20
There may be some unused, although it's unlikely now, I admit. Look around for earphones with replaceable cables as all earphone cables are pretty fragile by nature.

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 20
Not only the length, but the durability. I haven't heard of an ETy cable being durable.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Etys then how about the HF5?

Cable's only 4ft though.

Steven.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 20
How well does the RE0 isolate?
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2ek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable on HF5 is microphonic and rubbery, but 1 year plus and the cable has given me no problems. They get less use since getting RE0 and TF10, though.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 20
The RE0's isolation isn't the best, not as good as my Eternas.
Perhaps you should find an IEM with which you can use your brain penetrating Ety tips (that is, if you use the tri-flange.)

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 20
Yeah don't throw those out. Wait, I'm in norcal want me to give it a go? And I like the HJE900s for those exact genres. They are out of stock at J&R right now though. the cheapest price elsewhere is 159.99. They have a replaceable cable and durable as hell. although, they don't isolate as well as some of the better models. But they do a decent enough job for me. I was on bart, had them halfway up and barely heard the train going through the tunnel.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #12 of 20
Lol iHelp, I actually haven't seen you help anybody much. You seem to be the one asking for the help
tongue.gif

The RE0 is alright at isolating, but it is no Etymotic or Shure. Probably want to stay away from Shure, as their lower end models aren't that good compared to it's competitors. Look at Ultimate Ears and RE0, should do the job.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 20
i just got me RE0's last night, and so far i find them amazing. They dont isolate as well as i had hoped, but the sound passed my expectations. They are super comfortable and the microphonics are fairly low if i wear them over the ears. The bass is a little weak if i run it unamped, but it is my no means BAD bass, and with an amp the bass is perfect to me.

so id suggest the RE0's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks. Actually, this is the first time I've gotten help since a while ago. iHelp people a lot.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol iHelp, I actually haven't seen you help anybody much. You seem to be the one asking for the help
tongue.gif

The RE0 is alright at isolating, but it is no Etymotic or Shure. Probably want to stay away from Shure, as their lower end models aren't that good compared to it's competitors. Look at Ultimate Ears and RE0, should do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back