Etymotic ER6i experience..
Dec 2, 2004 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

msflsim

Head-Fier
Right, after getting the 4g ipod couple of months ago immediately i realised that the stock heads are crap..then i got into a research and came up with the £34 sony 71s..they turned up to be great b/c of all the "muddy" bass they have..but after a while it wasnt enough, so i did another research and came up with etys er6i..i was hoping to hear "some" bass since they had 8db more bass than the er6..ok i thought they will sound better than 71s..When i got them i was very dissapointed..no bass at all..at least not in that way the 71s had..so i did another research which involved finding some bass testing soundfiles..i pluged them in my pc an started..WOW the bass on these er6i is screw*ng amazing..i couldnt believe my ears..they deffinately need to be amped and eqd to give the best results..the thing about them is that the bass doesnt clog the mid or the highs..everything is separated and u can her the difference btw them..so i went back to 71s and only then have i heard the difference..the 71s are crap..everything is mixed up and over bassed..so i decided to keep the er6is b/c the detail of the sound is making more and more sence every minute i listen to them...and the isolation is great, u cant hear anything outside, much more isolatin than the 71s...those bass test files helped me a lot into discovering the true bass power of the etys...!!

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Yup, those little er6-i's really shine amped. It feels like you discovered a secret that no one else knows doesn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 5
hey, yeh i plugged my er6i into a sort of amplifier, TEAC A/C reviever with a headphone in (so its not really a proper amp) but i found it to be much better than the ipod amp, the bass was beautiful. i fiddled around with the treble and bass knobs i could get the sound georgous
biggrin.gif

note, "georgous" to my ears might be dog-**** to most of your ears but what the hell i loved it
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 5
The sound is great, especialy if u amp `em..too bad though for the ipod, but even still..the sound quality is top notch...and also they DO benefit from the burn in..quite much id say..the only preset with i got a clean sound on the pod is the "treble booster" or off..everything rest is crap..if u turn the volume way down so that u can barely hear the sound, try changing the presets and ull know what i am talking about..
The only dissapointment is in fact the ipod..im sorry to say that but it is true...the ER6is are too sophisticated for the ipod..damn it..!!
ill experiment with some more files and post the results here..
bottom line, these etys are not to be underestimated..

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Now, imagine if Apple made a deal with Etymotic...
If they included the ER-6i as the stock earphone with the iPod!
Obviously the price would go up, but with a rebate or discount...

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

What am I saying? Haha, I already have the ER-4P/S. :p

BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back