etymotic er6i confort question
Feb 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at some pictures and videos on how to put the etys in your ear, and it seems they go in pretty far, more than what I am used to with my marshmallows and shures

is it uncomfortable to have them go in that deep? does it improve the sound? and how easy or hard is it to take out or put in?

edit: *comfort

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Yeah, it's comfortable for me, the Tri-flanges aren't comfortable to me at all, but either the foamies or the double flanges will suffice.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 17
I think you're (kind of) missing the point. How far they go in is entirely dependant on the diameter and depth of your own ear canal. Best to just use the tip type that you're most comfortable with. Personally, tri-flanges don't work for me and I have to cut off the tops. And given the bi-flange or foam option I opt for short foams. What fits and how it feels is a personal thing - the proper insertion technique for any type of tip is most important for getting the best sound that the setup is capable of. Going too far into your ear isn't a good idea! Keep it to what feels (and sounds) most comfortable.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 17
Yes they go pretty deep, but they still stay comfortable. I used shure's black olives, they are most comfortable ones for me, and the seal is also great. Better seal, better bass..
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 17
Yes, they go in quite far. First you think you have them in far enough and then discover for the best sound you need to go in further yet. BUT they are quite comfortable.

It's like anything else new. It takes some getting used to but they are relatively easy to both put in and remove. Like Rob E sez, you need to find the tip that works best for you. For me the foamies were both more comfortable and the sound much better. But your experience may be different.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 17
are they easy to take out? I want to use these at school at will have to take them out to talk to people etc

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they easy to take out? I want to use these at school at will have to take them out to talk to people etc

Yes, they are easy to remove. If you use the foam tips, they are pretty easy to reinsert. Also, clean your easrs a few times a week to prevent wax build-up.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 17
They shouldn't be too tough to take out on the fly. But, just in case... you can always carry a small pair tweezers or needle nose pliers in your pocket (for emergencies
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry - Couldn't resist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 17
If you want to experience something similar to the plastic tips, try wearing ear plugs with similar tri-flange tips. That should give you an approximate feeling of comfort. As for taking them on and off depends on your ear canals.

I can pop my off easily, but putting them back on requires some effort.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They shouldn't be too tough to take out on the fly. But, just in case... you can always carry a small pair tweezers or needle nose pliers in your pocket (for emergencies
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry - Couldn't resist.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you are kidding, because I am getting the feeling that these are really hard to take out and are going to be a huge hindrance to me...

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I hope you are kidding, because I am getting the feeling that these are really hard to take out and are going to be a huge hindrance to me...

Kidding ??? - Not not at all... I never kid aound.
wink.gif

Just kidding - don't worry... be happy... and most of all.... don't take it all too seriously... and even more than that... have FUN with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 17
Well I had one old pair of biflanges, that had bad habit to stay in my ears when I took my er6i off, so sometimes the tweezers came handy..
biggrin.gif
But those biflanges were all worn out, over year old pair, and I never had those problems with olives. Overall er6i's come out nice and fast.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 17
so I have a few olives left over from my old shures, will they still work with the etys?

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

so I have a few olives left over from my old shures, will they still work with the etys?

They will - in fact, I recommend using them. The old stock ER6 foams were not great, I've heard rumors that they're shipping the ER6i with foamies more like the ER4 but I can't confirm that.

With regard to comfort, everybody is different. While pez finds the triflange uncomfortable, I enjoy it much more than either of the double-flange tips. It's all personal preference.

Once you get used to them, I find that (with silicone tips) they're incredibly easy to take out / put back in with one hand. I have this hard-to-explain method where I push the bud in with my middle finger while pulling down on my earlobe with my thumb/forefinger. Quick and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back