etymotic er6 vs er4p? please help me make up my mind.
May 2, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 31
The ER6 can also be worn Shure-style. This is how I wear it, and there are no microphonics whatsoever. You remove the shirt clip from below the Y-junction, reattach it above the junction, and then you can slide it up to snug the cords, just as you would the Shure plastic sleeve.

May 2, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 31
That's another plus for the ER6; it's a lot easier to wear Shure-style than the ER4. The strain relief on the ER4 is absolute crap IMHO; too obtuse of an angle and it really detracts from wearing them. I should get around to procuring a set of right-angle connectors to wire to the barrels some time.

May 2, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #18 of 31
wow! this is getting really good. i know alot more about some to the differences between er4 er6 and er6i, mrdarnton i am mostly concerned with detail, i would like to hear all of whats going on in recording. this is what really impresses me about stax sr-001. its amazing what i can clearly discern when i listen with the stax, and ety is as close as ive heard to that ideal with a good bit of isolation thrown in. my akg 701s are very open and detailed and also very musical and will use them to really relax and savor the music like a fine wine. what i am really looking for is an analytical headphone in the ety. has anyone replace er6 cord with er4 cord and had good results? are there cords you can buy for ety that are upgrades kinda like lary does for grado, or some of the upgrade sennehieser cables ive seen?

May 2, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 31
Since I ended up using the Etys most of the time, I didn't have the Shures fixed. I'm sure they would have done so--their service reputation seems good enough.

As for the connectors--my phones seem to fit best when they're directed upwards slightly, and the ER4 cord's angle is fine for me. I guess that's a personal thing.

There's another issue that hasn't been mentioned: comfort. For me, I don't even notice when I'm wearing the Ety 6. I never got friendly with the Shures, which are quite large, and the cord seems intrusive when over the ear. The Ety 4 is the least comfortable, and I'm working through the various earpieces. So far, I like the original foams best--coarse texture, but since I don't have to move them around much, it doesn't matter. I didn't like the comply foams that everyone likes--the pressure of them swelling up in my ear is stronger than the Etys and very uncomfortable, though the foam itself is friendly. Perhaps small complys would be good... Of all, the Shure are the second best, and for me the Ety6 flanged earpiece are completely unnoticeable. The ER4 flanged earpieces are both harder and rougher, and I don't much care for them at all. The ideal for me would be ER6 flanges on the ER4. For me.

May 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know alot more about some to the differences between er4 er6 and er6i, mrdarnton i am mostly concerned with detail, i would like to hear all of whats going on in recording.

The ER-6 (and for that matter all Etys) are really underrated when it comes to *accurate* *detailed* music reproduction. For some reason (marketing?) people think that you need umpteen drivers and a crossover and thunderous bass and super-duper new technology to be a good IEM. This just isn't the case if you are looking for detail and accuracy -- the classic Ety does it as well as any IMO.

Oh, and I don't have any problems with microphones on the ER-6. I just clip them if I'm moving around, or tuck them behind my head if I'm stationary.

--Chris

May 2, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #21 of 31
after using the ER6 (non-i) for a year, I bought the ER4P and FWIW I think the extra money spent is totally worth it.

I went back to the ER6 from the ER4P for a while and could see the improvement which was pretty drastic.

May 2, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 31
I just did the Shure style for my ER-6s on the train home, and it nearly completely eliminated the majority of the annoying microphonics. And I couldn't hear "that girl" on her cell phone. Great tips, thanks. Easy added value to my ER-6s!

May 2, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 31
I own both the er6 and the er4p,and for portable use the er6 wins.The er4p sounds more musical though,but the er6 sounds cleaner due to a slightly higher impedance(I mean that they are much less prone to picking up electric noise).If you are going to listen at home,buy the er4s or the er4p with the cable.If you are on the move,the er6 are a no brainer.The sound is sooo clean that at the beginning I thought that they sounded very artificial,but now I like them better than my hd595.I like their sound with the foamies,they add a bit of warmth that compensates for their coldness.

May 2, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 31
i found er-4s to be a great improvement over er-6i. my er-6i's instruments didn't sound like instruments. but it resolved it all instead of recessing it, but sometimes that was a bad thing because for example, cymbals sounded loud static. switching to er-4 i noticed the difference within seconds.

May 2, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #25 of 31
all right, i pulled the trigger on some ety er 6s. got them from newegg. so should be here in a couple of days. hope this will keep me satisfied for iem for a while. what ive really wanted to get is the shure e500. but i keep thinking that the price is going to fall a bunch on the really high end iems. i think it is just starting to fall. ive seen they came down from 499 to 300 dollars or so. i think they should ideally come down to around 199 someday, simply because iems should have a little more appeal to the teenagers running around with mp3 players that wouldnt get a pair of open headphones.

May 2, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #26 of 31
I own er6i and er4p with P-to-S converter.

to keep this message short (i will try my best), here comes a brief comparison.
er6i: more comfortable, compared to er4. (still way off from westone UM2 that i own)
laid back sound from unamped iPod 3rd gen. not having extreme details but i can say adequate at this price range. Clean and little bass, a little bright on highs.

er4p: very, very smooth, water-clear, and most importantly accurate sound straight from unamped iPod 3rd gen. it is not laid back, bass efficient, great mid and highs.

er4p with converter: OMG. it's the sound i want. very very sophisticated sound. compared to the simple er4p, i got more deep and somewhat punchy bass (not very punchy, but you can feel it), with very great definition and different level of bass. mid, more like the same as er4p. Highs, not that bright, but very silky.

in general sense, er4 vs er6: er4 have the best isolation so far, but it can be very uncomfortable for some people (like me).
For outdoor use, er4 is NOT a good choice since the cabling is hard and a bit short. It is hard to describe but you will know it is definitely no good to bring it outdoor.
appearance: er6i looked better, no doubt.
er4 needs an amp or high output device (some iPods models), er6i do not.
Durability: er4 wins. er6i is kinda cheapy on your hand.

Last as a reminder, er4 have two versions. one is the red-blue version, and the other one is in grey for both sides. they have different sound signature.

May 2, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 31
Me too! please tell us more!
eek.gif

May 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too! please tell us more!
eek.gif

I didn't experiment.
i don't have the black version.
From a very experienced player, he wrote that:

red-blue er4p: clean
black er4p: Colorful, but weak

i think he is trustworthy enough for this claim.
hope this piece of information is useful.
580smile.gif

May 3, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 31
I think that's a big load. They use the same driver and they have the same resistance. How could they possibly sound different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back