Etymotic ER6 v. ER4P for iPod?
May 6, 2003 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MagicBoy14

New Head-Fier
Heya everyone again. =) From all the positive things everyone says about etymotics, I think I'm gonna splurge for one of them despite they're REAAALLY high price. Now, the only question is which to go for? The ER6 or the ER4P? I'm definitely not an audiophile... but of course, better sound would still be appreciated. Anyway, I can afford to go for the extra $130 or so on the ER4P, but I'm not sure if it would worth it or not. If the difference isn't that big, I wouldn't mind saving the moolah. But, on the other hand, can the ER6's be driven directly from an iPod without an amp? I know ER4Ps are designed for portable, unamped use...but ER6's aren't, so how would they sound amp-less? Lastly, part of me is thinking, spending only half the amount of money and saving $130 would be GREAT, but the other part of me is thinking if I'm going to be spending $130 on a headphone, why not go for the full $260? Ahhh, *very confused!* =P Any suggestions everyone? Thanks! Oh, by the way, not sure if this would make a difference, but I'll be listening to these in public places, while walking to/from places, and in motor vehicles most often. Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Oh, oh...two more quick things: 1) anyone know the cheapest place to buy these things? 2) etymotics headphones are better than shure's, right? I just assumed that, but now I'm starting to wonder again (especially on such a big purchase!)...
tongue.gif
Thanks again!

May 6, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 9
If you want to walk around with your iPod, I would go for the ER6. I use that combo (iPod/ER6) for yard work and it sounds great. The 4P, while better sounding, just has too much microphonics in the cord for me. Just walking with the 4P is noisy.
But if you will be stationary (on a bus, subway, etc), then the 4Ps would be very nice. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, just my .02 cents, but if you are going to be walking, er4p's sound great, but if you are going to be walking, they are not a good idea. They are microphonic, but also, it is dangerous. You don't hear the outside world at all...you don't notice how much you rely on sound until you put them on. You don't hear cars, other people, talking etc...I have not tried the ER6, but I don't think they have as much isolation.

May 7, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh, actually, I'd be mostly walking from classes so it wouldn't really be dangerous with too much isolation. The thing that really surprises me is the microphonic cord issue? Is that really *that* big of a deal? I'll be listening to it sitting down 85% of the time and walking 15% of the time, by the way...

May 7, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't think it's too much isolation unless there's a hit out on you
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 9
I find the ER4Ps a bit bright when listening through my friend's Ipod, but it's still the best option for portable isolating phones. They still sounded pretty damned good out of the ipod, just a little brighter than I'm used to.

May 7, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 9
I walk with my ety-4 all the time you just need to find a good position for the cord require a bit of fiddleling with the position of the shirt clip. Or do the EarHugger Mod then you don't have to worry so much about microphonic It take care of most microphonic. There is still some microphonic due to having your ear plug but it doesn't get in the way of the music,your only realy aware of it when there is no sound.

I haven't heard the ER-6 so I can't comment on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back