Etymotic ER6-I Issue
Apr 1, 2009 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shpoon

New Head-Fier
So my pair of ER6-I's finally bit the dust. Actually, I'm just dumb
mad.gif
I had my zune in my pocket and leaned over, crushing the mini-plug and now the right channel does not work.

So, a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to fix this, ie put a new mini-plug on? I don't know what the wires inside the cord are like..(coated, or other annoyances)
2. Any suggestions on a mini-plug easily available in Canada (vancouver).
3. The wire itself has become sun bleached and a really gross yellow-white colour. Not to mention the wire is thin to begin with. Is it actually possible to completely change over the wire?

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I think I've seen where someone completely recabled a ER6 but it can't be easy. You could splice in a new end at the plug. I did this a couple months ago after I stupidly believed it was a short at the plug when it was really my failing 1G shuffle jack.

I used a cable from cheap earbud, very carefully stripped and soldered them and used heat shrink tube over top.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 10
U can put in a replacement jack from Radio Shack but is isn't mini at all, in fact gargantually huge by comparison. So to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, just find an old phones laying around, cut the entire cable including the plug and solder it on the er6i. I use iPod stocks myself, cheap@eBay, my fav. Replaced my own cable twice already and it's soft-as-butter as day#1.

Here's the Instruction.

p.s.: ppl attempting this fix should own an ultra-fine tip iron, and an ohmeter to verify your work (close to 16 ohms) before close up.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks so much!

Now the issue is finding heatshrink + wires. I also don't have soldering tools here (away from home) so I'll have to ask an electrical engineer or wait a month...

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade ^^

x2

This actually happened to my ER6i's as well, I guess just a weak mini plug. But yea it became I only get sound when i moved the mini plug around. Got it fixed by an electrical engineer though.
wink.gif
So good luck finding yours.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it fixed by an electrical engineer though.

Nah, all u need is a hobbyist, or the Geek-of-the-Block.

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade ^^

Don't have that kind of money. I really like these headphones for what they are tbh.

Noob question...which wires do I solder to which points? I'm going to be using ipod headphone cables, but how do I know which goes where?

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noob question...which wires do I solder to which points? I'm going to be using ipod headphone cables, but how do I know which goes where?

Each channel has a pair of wires, color coded.

The ground wire, common to both channels will have the same color wire. The other is typically blue and red for left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back