Etymotic Er4s
Feb 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

reakka

New Head-Fier
hey guys,

I've had my etymotic er4s for around 4 years now. I've found them lacking on my iphone3gs and desktop (onboard sound card -_-). I'm looking for some ways to improve its performance. I've heard that the arrow g4 is a nice complement. I ordered ACS customs, so I'll see how that turns out when they get in.
My friend told me some time ago about an equalizer for windows that someone tweaked specifically for the er4s; has anyone heard of that?

Thanks in advance

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
hey guys,

I've had my etymotic er4s for around 4 years now. I've found them lacking on my iphone3gs and desktop (onboard sound card -_-). I'm looking for some ways to improve its performance. I've heard that the arrow g4 is a nice complement. I ordered ACS customs, so I'll see how that turns out when they get in.
My friend told me some time ago about an equalizer for windows that someone tweaked specifically for the er4s; has anyone heard of that?

Thanks in advance

In the last 2 months I upgraded to the custom ACS and also replaced my amp and got the Arrow G4.  The combination has been spectacular and given me a completely new appreciation for the ER4S.  For me, the custom ACS didn't affect the seal quality but it made them so comfortable that I can be on a 12 hour flight and not get tired of wearing them.  
As far as the Arrrow is concerned, it almost feels as if it were designed with the ER4 in mind and has been the best amp I've had a chance to use wtih my ER4s.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 17
Mine didnt use a block either and it ended up being ok.  It took me a day or so to get used to inserting them but now I love it and would never use my ER4s without them.

Not sure if your audiologist does this, but mine had me go back to them to have the molds fitted instead of sending the molds to my house.  That way, if there was a fit issue, they would have retaken the molds.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 17
FitEar, the famed Japanese custom IEM makers known for their build quality and comfy fit, doesn't require the use of bite block, so I'd say you shouldn't worry too much about it.

I've no idea about the equalizer-for-windows thingy, but for iOS, there's an equalizer app specifically tuned for many IEMs (including ER-4S) and headphones called Accudio. I'm using it for my IEMs and they work wonders.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 17
If it's for desktop use then buy desktop DAC/AMPs and it will take to the next level with better bass response, more soundstage and better clarity. The Nexus 4 is decent dource but again DAC/AMPs help with jellybean OS on SIII willbe great upgrade.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 17
You guys know what the deal with the refurbished g4 is? Is it the same as the 4g? http://www.headstage.com/Refurbished:::1022.html?XTCsid=cb5ade7992bca9c4364df9c70c6ffbd2

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Thanks deadlovestory. 
Morgenstern do you think the nexus 4 is a good source for that setup?

No idea.  Because I like to keep my source attached to my amp, I've always used a dedicated DAP.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
You guys know what the deal with the refurbished g4 is? Is it the same as the 4g? http://www.headstage.com/Refurbished:::1022.html?XTCsid=cb5ade7992bca9c4364df9c70c6ffbd2

Wow I don't remember that being there a few days ago.  Robert has proven a master when it comes to build quality so if he is saying the unit is perfect and good to go then there is no reason to doubt its just as good as a new one.  Had I seen that when I bought mine, I would have saved the money and gone refurbished.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Just got my ACS tip today. I'll write a summary of my first impressions. 

1. I can't put them in my ear without twisting the tip into my ear first, and then inserting the phones. 
2. I used to push my triflange tips in ever so often to maintain the SQ and volume. I have never had to do with these customs. They stay put, which is amazing.
3. Volume is lower with the ACS tips opposed to triflange.  

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Just got my ACS tip today. I'll write a summary of my first impressions. 

1. I can't put them in my ear without twisting the tip into my ear first, and then inserting the phones. 
2. I used to push my triflange tips in ever so often to maintain the SQ and volume. I have never had to do with these customs. They stay put, which is amazing.
3. Volume is lower with the ACS tips opposed to triflange.  

1. I had this same issue for the first couple days.  I felt stupid because I couldn't get them in.  You will eventually figure out what works.  One thing that helped for me was to get them a bit  moist with water or spit and then put them in.
2. same
3. Yeah the volume for me was  also a tad lower but not by much.  I basically just retrained my ears to how it all sounded with ACS and after a few days it was all good. Also having the arrow amp with its power bump also helped me get to a happy volume setting.

Excited to hear your first impressions.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks for reassurance. I think I am gong to pull the trigger on the arrow 4g as soon as I save up enough money. I'm frantically trying to sell my things. 
I bought a mini3 a few years back, but I found it didn't work well with the er4; going to try to sell that. I'll probably do a full review with nexus->arrow4g->ety er4s w/ACS when I finally get everything together. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 17
It must be a typo.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Etymotic-Research-ER4S-In-Ear-Headphones-Earphones-IEM-ER4-Stereo-ER-4S-/160865092698?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item25744e845a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back