Etymotic ER4s or ER4p
Jul 5, 2001 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 44
Well well...you just nailed my setup. I started out with an ER-4S/TA combo hooked up to my panasonic portable CD player. It sounded good - much better than the Etys out of any other source I had available (archos jukebox 6000 HP jack, panasonic CD hp jack). The TA is certainly capable of driving the Etys to far louder than I would ever listen. However, I just got a cosmic (the old model) with a traveller bag yesterday and...what can I say...I'm glad I sold the TA, because I wouldn't ever use it again.

The Cosmic is a *lot* better in most ways. The soundstage really opens up (this was one of my big complaints about the Ety/TA combo) and the sound takes on a warm but incredibly detailed character. With the TA, I never found myself begging my wife to let me stay up just a little later to listen to one more CD...I've already gotten into two different arguments with her over listening with the Cosmic (and I just got this last night). The sound is incredible, and I'm pleased to say that I don't notice a difference between battery power and the wall-wart as far as sound quality goes.

I got a package deal with a traveller bag included, and if you can spring for it I would highly recommend it. Yes, it's pretty large and heavy with the wall-wart, battery pack, batteries, cd player and cosmic in there, but there's still some room left in the bag and it's really not that bad. Certainly not heavy enough to make me want to leave it at home. Plus, with the Etys, when I'm done listening I can just leave them plugged in to the amp, fold them up and they zip right up in the bag without any hassle. Even though the bag is pretty large, it's nice to have everything you need for great sound in one self-contained package. I'm honestly not sure that I would have spent the money to get all of this equipment new, but since I got a deal for the cosmic, bag and a sony cd player for $400, I couldn't pass it up (and I'm glad I didn't).

Maybe the supreme would work well also, for a bit less money, but I would definitely recommend something more than the TA. The cosmic is portable but still delivers the quality of sound that you'll be happy with at home. I'm not pretending that this is the be-all and end-all of listening setups, but I sure am happy and I think this will keep me satisfied as a home setup until I can get the HD600/Corda combo I've got my eye on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2001 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 44
This is really helping guys. I am leaning heavily towards a 4s/TA set up. I am pretty confident that I will not be satisfied by the fidelity of the 4p, and the compromise to get a smaller amp (I think) may solve my portability issues.

Another big reason I may decide to go with the smaller amp is that I think reference quality listening really requires a good front end, and I figure by that time I get that I'll have a new rig at home...which sadly might not be for a while.

As for the Panasonic SL-CT570, I see it in all the electronics stores along with the 470, and a lot of other models. Many of the stores carry US compatible versions along with the HK counterpart. All Panasonic players here seem to be shipped direct from Japan...units which, from personal experience, seem put together a little better. How could a plastic lid be put on a portable CD player better in one country than another? Beats me. All know is that the last Japanese built Panasonic that I had just seemed to fit better than the one that my buddy's.

From what I have read, the difference between the 570 and the 470 is in the fact that the 570 has a shirt clip remote, a different way in dealing with anti-skip, and well, here's the link that I went to

http://www.epinions.com/elec-Audio-P.../tk_~MM032.1.2

You'll notice that someone named Todd gave a good review of the 470 and suggested that headphone amps are necessary.
I am left wondering if he actually loves ONLY this particular portable CD player.

The review of the 570 has a good side by side comparison of the two by Chevyman16. It seems, without the Todd factor, to be a much better deal, considering that there is also the Gluegun factor.

By the way, is the headroom travel bag only for the cosmic/supreme? I am convince that I can throw it all together in an average bag or make a little padded holster to separate the player from the amp (if I get the TA that is). Any thoughts?

Do you guys have experience with rechargable batteries with the amps and players. I don't expect them to last as long as "Throw away batteries" but I hear the new ones are quiet good, and I hate throwing stuff like that away. Any comparisons that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again

al

Jul 5, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #19 of 44
Like I said, souporhero, you have my complete and utter dream system, to the letter, within your grasp, and, if I were you, I would get it in a SECOND...

remembe, the...

Japanese Panasonic SL-CT570
- this is the one with the optical out, the cool backlit remote, the metal case, the 10 seconds uncompressed antiskip, and, egad, just get the dang thing

Headroom Cosmic
- headroom recently redid their amps, including the Cosmic. This is like, one of the best portable amps in the world, and it woudl make the ER4S SING...In fact, I forget who, but, someone who went to that gigantic trade show in New York said that Headroom shouldn't bother making any portable amps of lower quality than the cosmic.

Etymotic ER4S
- what can I say? I'm not sure if I want to try these, because that would make it so my next upgrade step would HAVE to be electrostatics, because, well, there isn't much better than an ER4S..I mean, once you get used to THESE, Grado's aren't for you, Senns aren't for you, and....I'm scared. Like, getting used to the ER4S, I think, is like losing your virginity....
Of course, it takes a while to get USED to these things. I suggest you get a custom earmold, because that supposedly makes ER4S's sound IMMENSLY better. And, heck, you're getting every OTHER part of my dream system, why not go get the custom earmold?

Headroom Traveller Bag
- This thing just kicks ass, and makes this entire system, like, completely portable. I want one. My Caselogic case sucks, so I gotta get one of these....as soon as I get a cosmic and an ER4S, which will be a LONG time from now (I'm not mature enough for a set of Ety's; I'd mistreat/lose/break them at my age and immaturity...).

Anyways, fer the love of god, GO FOR IT!

Jul 7, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 44
Just to add my two cents worth to this...

I had the same dilemma with buying the ER4P's, or the ER4S's with an amp to follow. Opted for the ER4S's as I knew I'd kick myself if I couldn't be sure of getting the best possible sound (at some point) for the money. They sound better when powered from a static source, but powered from a Technics (Panasonic) CD player they're good enough until I can afford a portable amp (defining 'good enough' as 'the best on-the-road headphone experience I've ever had'!)

No regrets at all over this decision therefore, although it took me around three weeks to be completely happy with inserting the plugs and getting the best sound.

Jul 7, 2001 at 2:28 AM Post #21 of 44
i'd just like to point out again, that you can easily turn the 4p into the 4s with a simple adapter cable, so you can get the best of both worlds. however, it's not possible to turn the 4s into a 4p (unless you want rip your headphone cables apart).

Jul 7, 2001 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 44
Hi Skippy,

I remember a thread by Daniel Pumphrey regarding this. I didnt read it then. Would you care to elaborate on the process of the conversion from 4P to 4S? Also any idea where the cable could be brought from?

Thanks
Jason

Jul 7, 2001 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 44
Get the ER4s and either a Supreme or Cosmic. Most descibe the difference between these two as the Comic having a slightly cleaner edge than the Supreme but at risk of putting the inferior electronics of a pcdp in your face.

I love the Supreme for the Er4-s and 580s, though sometime I think maybe I should try the Cosmic module.

-CAL

Jul 7, 2001 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 44
it's been known for a while that the 4p and the 4s use the same transducers. don from etymotic implied that the only difference was resistors in the pod of the cables. so dan just made a 73 ohm cable for the 4p. it's pretty simple to make and would only cost a few dollars. you can probably also use 75 ohm video cable or digital cable (with a few adapters) if you're not up to building your own cables. you can try asking one of the DIY guys here (or maybe even someone from etymotic) to make a cable.

Jul 7, 2001 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 44
I own one of these adapters and highly recommend them to those adventurous enough to build one or get someone else to build one. (Dan made mine)

With the adapter you get the best of both worlds: 4p for good tunes straight outta the portable and 4s for high powered headphone amp at home. Life is good.

Jul 7, 2001 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 44
Dan? You around? Would you make me one if I compensated you?
wink.gif
Seriously -- I'm very interested, as I hope to eventually get a pair of 4Ps.

Jul 7, 2001 at 8:36 AM Post #27 of 44
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting one of those adaptors to convert the 4P. BTW MOO could you post a pic of the adaptor?

Jul 10, 2001 at 5:55 AM Post #28 of 44
I have contacted Etymotic and Headroom on the topic of the cable adaptor. Todd at Headroom doesn't seem to know anything about it, and the guys at Etymotic haven't gotten back to me.

Todd says that "The transducers are the same on the ER4S and ER4P. The cable has different equalization circuits in the plastic tube on the cable."

Since then, a thread regarding changing the 4p to the 4s has popped up. I am kind of wary about how this all works. I guess I would be much less apprehensive if the adapter was for the EP4s, changing the performance to an ER4p.

If anyone can explain how this all technically works, it would greatly be appreciated.

I'll probably end up seeing you all over on the before mentioned thread.

Thanks

al

Jul 10, 2001 at 6:32 AM Post #29 of 44
don from etymotic explained a while back that the eq circuit in the pod is nothing more than a simple resistor... he even posted the difference curves and stuff. since the 4p utilises a lesser value resistor, resistance can be added in series externally, without modifying the cable in anyway.

since the 4s has a higher value resitor, the only way to lower the resistance would require one to change the entire cable.

there was a lot of discussion regarding this on headwize a while ago. since headwize will re open in a few days, you can search the forums for details.

Jul 10, 2001 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

The package that you refer to is a mere $999.99. Not chump change for me at this time, but cheap in the relm of high end. I actually don't know if that is a good deal.

Cosmic $599
Etymotics $269
Case $129
Panasonic $89

Just two corrections to this from my recent telephone conversation with Todd at Headroom. The new Cosmic will be $699 (not $599 as it states on the web page). This was a sales price for the old cosmic. When the new Cosmic comes out this package will be either $1,099 or $1199.

Holderlin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back