Etymotic ER4S and Rock music.
Feb 20, 2002 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
The more I listen to these the more I think they just don't work well with Rock music. To me they just don't provide the bass and impact of a good closed headphone like the Beyer DT 770. Listening to my Rob Halford Live Insurrection CD last night confirms this I think. You just don't get the overall power of the performance. Maybe that's too much to ask from these tiny things. I do really like listening to female vocals through them though. Diana Krall and Patricia Barber sound warm and soothing. Just like women should sound, right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I use the Ety 4S with a lot of rock music (Weezer, The Strokes, Queen, The Get Up Kids, etc.) and I've come to the following conclusion. In my opinion, even though the Etys lack the visceral impact that accompanies say, a live rock show, I find that the uncolored and neutral presentation the Etys give you really lets the music shine through. It feels like you're hanging out with the band in the studio instead of banging your head with them in the front row of a concert. But that's just what I think of course.

In addition I find the Etys to be just about perfect with every type of music I listen to. (hip hop, jazz, rock, some classical)

Feb 20, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 13
I have to agree - I love my Ety's with everything. Their neutrality enables the music to shine through and offers detail, drive and musicality.

Strangely enough, I enjoy listening to quiet classical music more through the Sony EX-70's - their overblown bass and treble actually work really well with light classical.

Strange eh?

Feb 20, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 13
I guess that's the problem with neutral headphones. If the recording is real light, then what you hear will not be very dynamic at all. But blame the engineer I guess.

Feb 20, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Even for rock, I think Etys are slowly becoming by favorite headphones. With a good amp, their bass is astonishing. The only problem is that they have absolutely no impact, so drum heavy rock songs sound a little light. But everywhere else, midbass, deep resonant bass, midrange, and treble, they're just so phenomenally right.

Feb 20, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Frankly, I find the lack of real visceral impact on loud music to be a problem with ALL headphones compared to good speakers. It just feels unnatural to hear thunderous sound but not feel the vibrations.

(BTW, what the was the deal with that goofy Bone Fone scarf thing - I never did get try one.)

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Its hard to find a pair of speakers that give the right amount of visceral impact. Too much and its kinda artificial and annoying. I get sick feeling when too much deep bass is vibrating my body.

I find the ety's very relaxing to listen to because it has no rumbling with the deep bass.

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
Strangely enough, I enjoy listening to quiet classical music more through the Sony EX-70's - their overblown bass and treble actually work really well with light classical.

Strange eh?

Damn, Peddler, that ain't just strange--it borders on the perverted!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pedxing
Too much and its kinda artificial and annoying.

Agreed! Nothing ruins an otherwise passable system more than a maladjusted or just plain crappy sub-woofer.

But if the objective is recreating the original musical event (obviously not fully attainable), one of the ways headphones are deficient is in the lack of floor and air vibrations.

Feb 20, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 13
I agree. I like a little *slam*, but headphones really aren't suited for this sort of thing. That's why the Ety's seemed very strange to me. It's a clinical sort of feeling... almost like the Ety's are stethoscopes.

I'm afraid that I'll need to spend a lot of time with the Ety's before I understand them. I like to hear the reflections from the pinnae and outer ear and the Ety's bypass both.

Feb 21, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 13
I went to a rock concert once. It was so loud, it cleared out my sinuses and I lost some hearing. It was the first time I was able to breath in air without my allergies getting in the way. I never thought that bass can rattle my head in such a way.

Feb 21, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 13
I think I agree with every post in this thread, even though they seemingly contradict. Yeah, you're right, rock should have an in your face impact feel to it. Yeah, you're right, Etys don't. And they're analytical and unnatural. And yet somehow they're very enjoyable.

In a way they're like a glimpse into the future. You know it's only a matter of time before we eliminate this whole speaker thing and send the music straight to the audio part of the brain, and that's going to lack a physical bass representative too. And this is something I look forward to.

Maybe I'm just smitten. *shrug*
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
The more I listen to these the more I think they just don't work well with Rock music. To me they just don't provide the bass and impact of a good closed headphone like the Beyer DT 770. Listening to my Rob Halford Live Insurrection CD last night confirms this I think. You just don't get the overall power of the performance. Maybe that's too much to ask from these tiny things. I do really like listening to female vocals through them though. Diana Krall and Patricia Barber sound warm and soothing. Just like women should sound, right?
biggrin.gif

Hi Acidtripwow,

So, would you recommend someone to get the Etymotics to complement the W2002 or CD 3000?

Any comments between the Ety and W2002 since you must have been listening "intensely" with the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back