Etymotic ER4P & AKG K701
Aug 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

VALIENTE

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, I love headphones that give many details of the music.
Ety 4p & AKG K701 are just of those.

I'm choosing one of these two, though I plan to buy both.
Since I'm on budget, I will buy one first. So I have a problem, which should I get first, ER4p first or the AKG K701 first?

The ER4p will shine even without an amp but will it compete the details of the AKG K701? The AKG K701 needs a great amp to bring out the details of the music, so more money must be invested first in that headphone.

From your experience guys, especially guys who have owned both the Ety 4p and AKG K701.
Will the amped/unamped ER4p compete with the details of the amped AKG K701?

Because if the ER4p competes with the details of the amped AKG K701, I will consider buying first the ER4P.

And how about the comfort issues, are ER4p comfortable to wear? I have only earphone but I never use it (Creative EP630) because I use my Grado SR60 all the time since it gives many details of the music.

So I'm more of a open headphone-user as of this moment and I enjoy it.
Will the ER4p make me happier after my Grado SR60?

Guys please consider my situation.

Thank you.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 9
I have the er-4s and have owned the and the k701 easily has more details. In addition, the k701 soundstage is huge, which makes it easier to find those little details, while the er-4 soundstage is pretty small. Also, I find the k701 to have a much more natural sound. I find the er-4 to simply be too thin sounding to be realistic.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 9
These are both great phones, and I think you will like both. I mainly use the Ety's when traveling, on a airplane they are superb, blocking out the noise and letting you listen at normal volumes. The ER-4P with an ER-4P to ER-4S Adapter and an amp make the Ety ER-4P really shine.

At home I use either a K701 with an Meier Corda Opera or Beyer DT-880 250's with a 3Move rather than the Ety's. Both are better than Grado SR-60's which I also like, but rarely listen to any more. It really depends on where and what you listen to. Bass heads need to look elsewhere as none of these phones will meet your needs.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Well I mean it comes down to if you're using portably or not. If you're not I'd recommend the K701s because generally my understanding is that all IEMs aren't particularly comfortable to wear for extended periods of time if they're not custom moulded and really if you don't need to use them portably there's no point in sacrificing sound stage for compactness.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 9
For me, the ER4P's are the most comfortable iem i've tried, using double flange (cut the last tip off) or with foam.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 9
I have etymotic HF5(should be very close to ER-4p) and new AKG k701(waiting fo amp to delivery). AKG is better in most way, space, detail, better bass, more comfortable.
But first I recommend you to try them somewhere, because both of them have quite specific spund and some peaople simple hate it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 9
These phones have very similar sound signatures, true, but regarding resolving ability, K701 is far ahead, not comparable, regardles the amp. Amp will bring body to the K701 dry presentation, but it sounds more detailed even out of my macbook.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Go for the Etys. I have and love both 'phone, and both are extremely detailed and resolving. Maybe the K701 well-amped comes out a little ahead, but I don't think it will be that noticeable. Plus, the Etys are more fun, and significantly cheaper. Grab the Etys, enjoy them, and get the K701 when you're ready.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Guys, I think that I will go for the AKG K701 instead of ER4P. I will have a very long way experimenting the former headphones than the latter one.

What can you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back