Etymotic ER4 Replacement Cable in UK?
Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asylumxl

New Head-Fier
Hey there.

Now I'm sure that someone will tell me to search but I have done but not really found anything that is of use to me, so I will explain my situation.

I have had my ER-4s for nearly 2 years now and they are a joy to use and listen to but one thing is really bugging me. The cable is absolute utter rubbish. The quality of them seems rather sub par. Just within warranty the original cable had connection issues and was replaced by Etymotic. And now just under a year since being replaced, this cable has developed the same fault and it's really aggravating. It seems to be a very common problem.

I don't know if they'd replace this one under warranty or not, and despite emailing ER I have not received a reply to my query (I checked my junk mail folder too). Phoning them from the UK is possible but they seem to struggle to understand my accent (I'm only from the London area so not unintelligible).

On top of this. I'd have the cost of shipping to America, the large amount of time without my earphones and the further delay of proving they're a repair to customs (happened last time).

So what I'm wondering is if there is anybody with either the cable in stock in Britain, or any DIYers who would be able to make a cable that is more durable and better quality to solve this problem once and for all. I really think for such expensive IEMs they should last longer than this.

Sorry for all my whining!

Cheers,
Izzie

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 6
I think that you actually have three options: (i) you can send the broken cable to some DIYer who will repair it; (ii) you can send the broken cable to Etymotic; (iii) you can buy Westone/Shure type replacement cable e.g. on ebay but in order to connect it to Etys drivers you have to buy cable adapters (also from ebay) http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-P-/300592438250?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item45fcb49bea#ht_8264wt_1091.

Hope this helps.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 6
I've been dealing with Etymotic for a number of years now and find their customer service to be top notch.  For a price they have replacement cables.  I also don't agree that their cables are flimsy.  I've been wearing them to the gym (a fairly push/pull environment) for a number of years and they hold up well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back