Etymotic ER4 P/S vs Shure lineup
May 24, 2008 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
I have tried several different iems "The ue metro fi.2" being the latest. I thought those were horrible. Seemed ok at first but then I just started to hear how bass heavy they were and didn't show lots of detail either. So I finally decided to spend some real money and get something worth while. I have really been looking at the Etymotic ER4 series. This really seems like what I'm looking for. Only two things I'm worried about. 1: It seems like they stick wayy out. 2: How durable are these ? . The other set I'm debating on is some of the higher end Shures. They just seem like they are more durable and made better. But the most important thing is sound quality. So I can spend no more then $200-250 "including everything shipping etc." . They are going to be used straight out of my Macbook with no amp. I listen to mostly Rock and also like to watch movies. Sound isolation is a nice plus as well. Really want to block out my surroundings.

Thanks for any input!

May 24, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 25
They don't stick way out, and as long as you treat them nicely they don't break.
eareb6.jpg

May 24, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 25
the ety fit will depend on the individual I suspect, I can shove mine really deep into my ear canal and literally have the cable just dropping right out over my lobe, of course, this accounts for the perfect seal I achieve with these phones and the great bass I get with them, but as our ears asre all different you may or may not have an issue with them sticking out more than others, although to be honest, they LOOK like they should stick out more than the shures and the ue's, but there style is deceptive as the others are way bulkier and probably, for the average ear, there wouldnt be that much in it I suispect

*edit* yale's picture said it far more concisely than I ever could

May 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't stick way out, and as long as you treat them nicely they don't break.
eareb6.jpg

WOW! All the other pictures I looked at seemed like they stuck way farther out. Very good. Thanks for the picture.

May 24, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 25
my ety-4's stick out a lot more than the picture shows, its all about how deep your ear is.

also - ive never have an ety (ive had four total) break on me, just lost (or eaten by a dog), but i have had FOUR.. yes.. FOUR shure's break!

the shure's were e2c's, broke in one ear (wiring is cheap), sent it back, happened again, sent it back, happened AGAIN, for a total of five pairs until i just sold the new ones they sent me the fourth time. it was BS!

this was a few years ago, so i dont know if they have improved their wiring, but ety's seem to be more accurate, durable, and more comfortable.

shures exhibited better bass response though (ive used e3c's and er-6's also)

currently my only IEM's are my e4P's but they do sound a tad too bright for my tastes (i find IEM's fatiguing in general though)

if you can, find a way to listen to them first, cause i think its all preference

May 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my ety-4's stick out a lot more than the picture shows, its all about how deep your ear is.

also - ive never have an ety (ive had four total) break on me, just lost (or eaten by a dog), but i have had FOUR.. yes.. FOUR shure's break!

the shure's were e2c's, broke in one ear (wiring is cheap), sent it back, happened again, sent it back, happened AGAIN, for a total of five pairs until i just sold the new ones they sent me the fourth time. it was BS!

this was a few years ago, so i dont know if they have improved their wiring, but ety's seem to be more accurate, durable, and more comfortable.

shures exhibited better bass response though (ive used e3c's and er-6's also)

currently my only IEM's are my e4P's but they do sound a tad too bright for my tastes (i find IEM's fatiguing in general though)

if you can, find a way to listen to them first, cause i think its all preference

Unfortunately I don't have a way to audition them first. Bass is not too big of a deal. I'm just really shooting for clarity and overall sound quality. I'm actually not a big fan of the whole head rattling base lol. I will wait for some others to chime in but It's sounding the ER4s are the way to go. Ohhh yea which should I get the ER4P vs ER4S ??? Remember no amp and straight out of laptop or iPod.

May 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 25
Etys are in my book among the best IEM ever made till now, and I think that Etymotics agree somewhat with me, because they have not put any other in decades, the bass is a little limited, but the rest is just the way it should for my personal taste.

What I have do noticed in IEM's, is that once you open the bass to get the impact, and go lower, is like opening a pandora box, the rest of the spectrum suffer considerably, so it is better to have it controled, or saving a few exceptions, you will mess it up...

May 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 25
I have (but am selling) a pair of Etys with the Apuresound S cable and the right angle on the APS replacement cables means the recabled Etys do not stick out as much even if they do not go as deeply into your ears. A used pair of Etys and a used Apuresound cable would come close to $300 though so it is a bit out of your budget. But if you decide to splurge, since you are not using an amp, you probably should consider a P cable, although some say the APS S cable gives the Etys as much bass as a stock P cable.

BTW, I am selling mine not because of any problem with the Etys. I love their sound, but I love the sound of my full size cans better and so I hardly use them.

May 24, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 25
Do the Altecs "Etymotic Technology" im616/im716 even close the the ER4 series? Just curious as they are way cheaper.

May 24, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I don't have a way to audition them first. Bass is not too big of a deal. I'm just really shooting for clarity and overall sound quality. I'm actually not a big fan of the whole head rattling base lol. I will wait for some others to chime in but It's sounding the ER4s are the way to go. Ohhh yea which should I get the ER4P vs ER4S ??? Remember no amp and straight out of laptop or iPod.

You might not get them this deep right off the bat. You get more confident with them after a while... Don't give up on them. Like most good things, you have to wait and suffer to attain the acquired tastes and skills. And yes, this includes comfort as well. Just my 2 cents.

May 25, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 25
er4p has a tiny bit more bass response, and i really like them (ended up selling my er4s and getting the er4p's) they are also easier to drive (good for laptop or ipod)

May 25, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, you are going to love ER4-P.
And later you could always get the P>S cable to see how an ER-4S sounds....But if you have the funds, that Ety + Apuresound is seriously tempting!

May 25, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 25
ya if bass isnt a big deal, the er4-p is going to blow you away :p

May 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 25
just wanted to add - bass on ER-4P is really good...it is deep, clean and detailed. It does not have the warmth or sheer impact/slam of others, but the presentation is superb IMHO...

Edit\ dazzer beat me to it! Absolutely agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back