Etymotic ER-6's?
Sep 27, 2003 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darkfusion

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently loving the sound of my D66's, but they're not really portable enough for everyday use and there's not much isolation, so I end up using my EX70's most. The problem is the EX70's sound pretty pants, and also the bass gives me a headache with them for some reason
eek.gif
it's just too overpowering on high volumes. So I'm looking at the ER6's because I can't spend out on the ER4P's as they're just too damn expensive, and I don't want to spoil my ears for life with the Godlike sound of the ER4's just yet
tongue.gif

So would the ER6's be a decent earphone in between the EX70 and the ER4P's? And what other choices do I have apart from the ER6 and the Shure's (don't like the look of the Shures for some reason)

Also, are the ER6's comfy for long listening times, and how often do you have to replace the filters.

Thanks in advance for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 9
I've never heard of anyone saying bad things about the Eyts. However, I do not own a pair myself so perhaps someone else can provide you with more information?

I'm intersted in this topic myself, so I'm also curious about what others are going to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 9
welcome to head-fi guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

i have the er-6s. i'm thoroughly happy with them. filters i've replaced twice in 6 months, so i think every few months or so is probably about right. it probably depends though. (where you use them, how and with what you clean your ears, stuff like that). they are pretty comfy for me for extended periods of time but every so often it makes my inner ear kind of itch.

so yeah...

Sep 27, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply/welcome usc goose
smily_headphones1.gif

Twice in 6 months doesn't sound too bad, I think I'll go for the ER6's then
etysmile.gif

Are the filters easy to change and easily available in the UK? Also do you know of a decent site in the UK that stocks the ER6's because I'm having some trouble finding them. I may have to import
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Well I own, or have owned, the ER4, ER6 and E2 (that's a lot of E's.) I upgraded from the 6 to the 4, I didn't like the top-end characteristics of the ER6. The ER-4 really sounds great but isn't a good mobile solution (the 6, however, is.) If you do get the ER-6 buy them from a place that has a good return policy.

Sep 28, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ZeroFX
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
etysmile.gif

I'm going to go for the ER-6's, now it's just a matter of saving up
biggrin.gif

GOOD CHOICE!

I have ER-6 and ER-4s. For ease of use I greatly prefer the ER-6. I think they seem more durable than the ER-4 also. Maybe becasue of the metal parts where 4's have plastic.
I've had mine over a year and have gone through about 4 pairs of filters. But, for a long time I was using them 6 hours a day 7 days a week. Sometimes even more.
biggrin.gif
I've had them in for as long as 10 hours a few times. If it wasn't for the music coming out of them I wouldn't know they were in my ear.

Sep 28, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 9
Good to hear, Mr.PD. I'm also looking at getting the ER-6, and seeing as how I'll be using it portably a lot, ease of use and durability are important...does the sound still measures up to the 4s in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back