Etymotic Er-6i's good for rock?
Oct 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chickenman

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently wanting these buds for noise canceling and portable usage. (this is since xmas is coming..) My playlist is mainly composed of bands like Pink Floyd, Eagles, etc.. I also like rap. I'm wondering if er6i's fit these genres.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 11
iv heard the bass is a bit weak on the er-6i, but apart from that they are great. maybe spend a bit more and go for the q-jays. They supposidly have the same clarity of etymotics but with a stronger bass.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 11
I have almost the same question as the OP. Please someone who knows, reply!
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 11
I have a pair of ER-6i's and listen to a wide range of music - rock to classical to jazz. To me the Ety bass is clean and tight and fine for rock IF you're not a basshead. They work fine straight from an iPod but an amp does seem the give the bass more punch. YMMV

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 11
yeah, etys are not for bassheads. The bass is not bad if you have a crazy-good seal. They're mostly about detail.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 11
Unamped, they're light on bass definitely but I'm wasn't worried about that. However, if you're amping, it really helps the bass out. It put the bass right where I wanted it without sacrificing the incredible detail. I found it really easy to get a good seal with bi-flanges and foamies.

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Cool avatar ...

Noise cancelling? Check (better than most). Portability? Check (smaller and lighter than most).

I find the ER6i's to be fairly versatile (except I don't listen to rap -- but on some electronic music with massively loud bass, the ER6i's do manage to convey a significant *audible* bass ... but they might not be what you're used to, espcially at first), but as stated above, they are detailed and most certainly not in-ear sub-woofers. It is easiest for me (and most comfortable, if that's an issue for you) to get a great seal by using foamies -- the Shure black foamies fit the ER6i's and last a lot longer than other brands currently offered. Also, I think the highs are toned down a bit when using foamies. I've worn them for four hours at a time and found them to be non-fatiguing sonically and physically when using foamies ... a bit less so with flanges.

The fit and sound signature took me some getting used to (I went from ER6's to Shure E3's and then "back" to Ety with the Er6i's). The foamies made all the difference for me (of course, your mileage may vary, but the small Shure or Comply foams on the ER6i's fit very well and sound very nice for me).

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, etys are not for bassheads.

Neither are q-JAYS.

For rock, I still listen to Sennheiser cx-300. They can't match the detail of q-JAYS, though.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 11
imo yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back