Etymotic ER-6I Phones
Jan 25, 2005 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is my problem - I live in a remote coastal town where most poeple don't know what an MP3 file is let alone an iPod??

I am considering purchasing the Etymotic ER-6i's for a 4th generation 20Gb iPod. As I am unable to listen to them before I buy I would appreciate some comments by members who own these phones as I am unable to get to a major regional centre where they have a decent selection to try before you buy!!

I am using the stock phones at the moment and I guess my main question is;

Are these phones worth the dollars and will the difference in sonic quality justify the purchase.

The music tend to listen to is U2, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Maroon 5, Eminem, Hendrix etc so bass responce is relatively important.

Any Advice greatly appreciated - Cheers!!

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 18
You will hear a difference for sure since you've been using the stock buds. They're definitely not over priced if u get them at the right place. But remember to stick them far in your ears though. If you're on a limited budget, er-6i wont' disappoint you.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mullos
Here is my problem - I live in a remote coastal town where most poeple don't know what an MP3 file is let alone an iPod??

I am considering purchasing the Etymotic ER-6i's for a 4th generation 20Gb iPod. As I am unable to listen to them before I buy I would appreciate some comments by members who own these phones as I am unable to get to a major regional centre where they have a decent selection to try before you buy!!

I am using the stock phones at the moment and I guess my main question is;

Are these phones worth the dollars and will the difference in sonic quality justify the purchase.

The music tend to listen to is U2, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Maroon 5, Eminem, Hendrix etc so bass responce is relatively important.

Any Advice greatly appreciated - Cheers!!

a friend of mine just got the er6i...and loves it. he wasn't listening to his ipod as much with his stock earbuds...but once he heard the er6i, he couldn't stop listening to his ipod. the difference between the er6i and the ipod earbuds is night and day. i highly recommend it!

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 18
Hello dskywalker - you said if I'n on a limited budget the ER-6i's are a good buy - lets say I could stretch the budget to the ER-4P's - are they are good buy considering they are $440.00 Australian??

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 18
ER-6i's are a good buy, but wether it's analytical style suites you is another matter. For some ppl the Shure's / Westones may be more appropriate. All really depends on your listening taste.

I think there are enough satified ppl out there that justify the value of the 6i's. But half of them will probably be upgrading the the ER-4's later on once addictect.
280smile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 18
ER4Ps win over the ER6is in every regard - better lows, mids and highs, better everything.

You cannot even compare the ER6i to the ER4P. I listened to the ER4Ps *without* an amp and the ER6is *with* an amp and still the ER4Ps totally blew the ER6is away. It is of worthy note that the ER6is are made in China and the ER4P/S are not.

If you've got the money to spend, get the ER4P and if you want to use it with a good quality amp, get the ER4P/S adapter or the Xin adapter.

Believe me, you'll never regret it.

ER6i is consumer grade and ER4P is professional grade. The prices clearly dictate the difference in sound quality, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
looks like your taste is in rock music. if so, would bass be important to you. cos er6i + ipod isn't exactly a combination that will output meaty bass.

i disagree. i think the bass is fine. the main problem is that the iPod (at least the 3G version) doesn't drive them particularly well. i had to set the gain on tracks to +80% and turn the volume up nearly all the way to get decent volume. doing this caused some clipping, too. i don't listen to music all that loudly, but i simply wasn't satisfied with the volume. with my ER-4P's, in the rare times i don't have my SuperMini, i get fine volume with the track gain set to zero and the volume turned to about 50%.

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 18
Thanks guys for all your help it is much appreciated - will now have to decide on which to buy - would have a lot of money left over for beers if I went the ER-6i way - is going to be a difficult choice given that if i had more info I would probably have purchased a different player in the 1st place!! Have heard lots of people complaining about the Ipod's playback quality and output levels - have been reading about portable headphone amps as well - more future dollars to spend - funny thing is by the time I finish getting it right I could have purchased a reasonable home system but alas it is the price we pay for the love of music - cheers and many beers!! (Especially if Hewitt gets beaten at the open - I am an aussie but his antics are really over the top!!)

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i disagree. i think the bass is fine. the main problem is that the iPod (at least the 3G version) doesn't drive them particularly well. i had to set the gain on tracks to +80% and turn the volume up nearly all the way to get decent volume. doing this caused some clipping, too. i don't listen to music all that loudly, but i simply wasn't satisfied with the volume. with my ER-4P's, in the rare times i don't have my SuperMini, i get fine volume with the track gain set to zero and the volume turned to about 50%.

the er6i has bass, but one as to listen out for it. there are times when i prefer to listen to bass without putting too much concentration.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 18
I just got my er6i's and am playing them on 3rd Gen. iPod. I agree with comments about shallow bass (it is there, but nothing to write home about), everything else is sounding very crisp and poppish. My volume is way down (like 20% or less)too with no problems hearing. Find a deal and go for them!

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legacy 163
I just got my er6i's and am playing them on 3rd Gen. iPod. I agree with comments about shallow bass (it is there, but nothing to write home about), everything else is sounding very crisp and poppish. My volume is way down (like 20% or less)too with no problems hearing. Find a deal and go for them!

man, am i that deaf? i swear i don't listen to my music that loud!
eek.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 18
I don't think you'd be posting on this site if that were the case
biggrin.gif
. Maybe it's some weird qwerk of my iPod, but that is my volume level for comfortable listening.

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legacy 163
I don't think you'd be posting on this site if that were the case
biggrin.gif
. Maybe it's some weird qwerk of my iPod, but that is my volume level for comfortable listening.

well regardless, i'm glad you're happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back