Etymotic ER-6 or ER-4P: which is right for me?
Jun 6, 2002 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

billcat

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm heading off to college this fall, and I've been doing a lot of thinking on what my audio setup there will be. Right now I'm leaning towards high quality headphones.

The source for pretty much all my audio (cd, mp3, dvd) will probably be a Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook computer (haven't bought it yet). I'm not really sure what the integrated sound card can do, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its good. I also have a panasonic discman, but I don't foresee myself using it much.

For headphones right now I'm really liking what I hear about the Etymotic in-ear-cannal headphones. The insulation effect they have seems like it could be very useful when I need to take a break from reality, close my eyes and just enjoy the music. I'm also planning on buying some cheaper headphones, probably the Koss KSC-35 for times when I wouldn't want the insulation.

I'm still undecided as to which Etymotics I should buy. The price advantage the ER-6 has is very nice, and the deal headphone.com has for the ER-6 and Airhead amp for $200 seems really sweet. However, having heard so much about how the ER-6 may be good, but the ER-4P is incredible, I find myself really wanting one. The price difference between the ER-6 + amp and the ER-4P by itself isn't really that much. Then being able to buy the 4P->4S adaptor and an amp to upgrade the 4P is also nice.

So I guess the big question is whether my source is good enough to show a big difference between the ER-6 and ER-4P. While writing this and thinking over my situation it is starting to seem that putting down the extra cash for the ER-4P is the obvious choice, especially because I won't be using them all the time, or for any activities that cause much wear and tear, so they hopefully will last a long, long time, and will be ready if I upgrade my source. However, it could also be that I am underestimating the ER-6, and that both of these headphones are more than enough for me. I guess I really just want someone to put me back into perspective, and slap me and say "obviously, you should get ______"
smily_headphones1.gif
Or maybe someone could tell me if they think the whole setup stinks, or maybe have a better idea.

Thanks for any help,

-Will

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 3
If you're going to be into audiophile headphones for the long haul, then I'd recommend the ER4P. Once you have one, you will probably never want another headphone of its kind again. If you end up with the ER6, you'll always wonder what you're missing and probably end up shelling out the $$$ for ER4's anyways.

That being said, if you don't plan on being very critical of your music, then the ER6 + Airhead sounds like a good deal.

In either case, both are amazing headphones compared to the typical mass market consumer stuff at your local department store.

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 3
I have listened to both and prefer the ER-4S. I like the increased isolation and the sound is better suited to my tastes. For a very good review and comments read through this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=er6+er4

One thing that you can be sure of whatever choice you make you will be hearing things you never heard before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back