Etymotic ER-6 / ER-4
Dec 16, 2002 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Slayeren

New Head-Fier
What are the major differences between the ER-4 and the ER-6 earbuds? I need somthing with alot of noise blockage so i thought that the ER-6 buds would be good considering i only have about 150 to spend. I Have V6s too and love those but i need somthing with good portability. also, what is the nessesity of an amp with the Ety ER-6 buds?

Thanks
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 2
Having all three 'phones you mention, I can tell you that the Ety experience is VERY different from the one provided by the V6. As you've probably read before, the Etys have a bass you can "hear," but it is not palpable like the V6s, which have a very tactile bass response. You may find that the Ety bass is not to your liking. Some people complain they are "thin" sounding, but this is usually due to their not acheiving the proper seal.
As far as the differences between the ER6 and ER4 goes, I would say that you are paying for a more refined sound with the ER4.........bass is deeper and better controlled, and the highs are more extended and smoother. The ER4 series are also easier (at least for me) to achieve a good seal with. I have a difficult time with the ER6 in my right ear.......I keep losing the seal if I move around a bit. Also, the ER6 can be driven to adequate volume levels from a portable, but they definitely benefit from an amp, whereas the ER4P is much easier to drive. And the ER4P can be converted to the ER4S with a simple cable change or cable addition.
Since your budget is $150, you're kind of limited to the ER6. I would recommend giving Headroom a call, ordering a pair, and try them out with your equipment. You have 30 days to decide whether they're right for you. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back