Etymotic ER-4S's - The Different in-ear-Tip Varieties
Mar 14, 2007 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

I am soon to own a pair, and I wonder: which kind of tip should I try first? Is there sonic difference between the two? Is one widely preferred over the other? Are there any tricks to putting them in? I seem to recall a thread a long time ago where someone suggested to lick them? (ick!)

Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 37
I've been using Roadrunner foamies for UM2 and they work pretty well. (Actually they fit sloppy on Shure and Westone's and always get lost, but they're snug on Ety's)

Any of these foamies, you want to get a few pairs, an exacto knife, some sharp scissors, sculpt them to tyour ear canal

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/eteaac.html

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 37
I'd start with the supplied tri-flanges. Be patient with them. Slightly moisten and insert upwards at 45 degree angle into your ear canal. ALWAYS HAVE MUSIC ON WHEN DOING THIS so you can tell as the fit improves. Once in, direct them slightly forward, then slightly backwards to see if the sound changes. Again...be patient.

I only like to use foamies and complies as a last resort as they get grimy and yuckey quickly and easily. Good luck and enjoy!

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 37
Comply tips give the best sound for me, and are the most comfortable by far.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the difference between these three variety (flange, foam, comply) is for all of them comfort, not sound quality?

sound quality improves with fit, with the er-4 a lot more than other iem's

u can also try home made foamies (if u have the time), or custom plugs (if u have the money. both are better than comply

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comply tips give the best sound for me, and are the most comfortable by far.

What material is the comply tips? Are they foam? How often do you have to replace them generally..

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What material is the comply tips? Are they foam? How often do you have to replace them generally..

Site states that they're foam. MOO. Hate foam. Wax always get stuck on them and wetting them is a no no. Any WASHABLE suggestions?

MMM. What about the ER6-I biflanges????

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MMM. What about the ER6-I biflanges????

Those were the best of the ones Etymotic sent to me when I requested a sampling of different tips. (Which they did for no charge upon a simple e-mail request. Ety is awesome that way.)

For me, they are only an 8.5 on the pain scale rather than the 11 of the tri-flanges.
eek.gif

My quest to make these things comfortable enough to listen to is basically never-ending.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghoti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those were the best of the ones Etymotic sent to me when I requested a sampling of different tips. (Which they did for no charge upon a simple e-mail request. Ety is awesome that way.)

For me, they are only an 8.5 on the pain scale rather than the 11 of the tri-flanges.
eek.gif

My quest to make these things comfortable enough to listen to is basically never-ending.

AWESOME! Thanks for the verification!!
k1000smile.gif

I've had the ER6s for a while now so I know how the biflanges feel like. Not bad at all.
Assuming that the fit is the same as the ER6I's biflanges, that is.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And yes, I can also verify that ETY has AMAZZZING customer service. Right in par with Amazon.

Requested replacement sleeves for the ER6s many times and they always gave them to me for free.
Heck, I even requested some free filters and they gave that as well. Although admittedly, I was in a special situation at that time.

Anywho. Thanks for the verification. I was scared it was either foam or tris w. the Etys.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back