Etymotic ER-4S, how is the long term comfort?
May 21, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 22
Patrick: the answer (as always) is... it depends.

Etys are THE solution for travel. They sound great (to most people) and they block out nearly all other noise. The screaming infant in the seat behind you becomes a distant memory... the flight attendants just seem to be mouthing words to you... nothing makes the time go by more quickly or more enjoyably than ER4s. That's why so many people have posted about them for travel. Also means that you're generally sitting in one place and not directly interacting with many people, so those other issues (cord microphonics, taking them in and out, etc) aren't a problem.

As far as being primary cans for home use, well, there are a lot of folks here that have several cans for several different purposes. If you stay here long enough, you'll likely end up in this camp as well.

Etys certainly CAN be primary cans. But, only you can decide if the circumstances are correct for your use.

They are microphonic. Can be annoying when walking around.

If your wife/S.O./roomatte/whatever doesn't realize that you have them in, can make for some very, ummm... interesting times. Make sure that others in the house know that you aren't ignoring them... you just cannot hear what they're saying. Let them know before you start listening! Just trust me on this.
rolleyes.gif

Also have to be ready for the moment when a face will suddenly appear in front of you at a moment when you're totally into the music and NOT expecting someone else to suddenly appear. My wife has gotten me a few times. Almost "code brown" moments.
biggrin.gif

ER4S are my primary cans for most home use. Most of my listening is done late at night. Using Etys means that my wife doesn't hear the music I'm playing while she's trying to sleep.

But, when she's awake (which means that she'll be talking to me
evil_smiley.gif
), I try to use different cans.

Suggestion: order a pair from HeadRoom. They have a 30 day money back guarantee to help let you decide if they'll work for you or not. As you can see from the responses here, most folks love 'em. But there are folks that can't get used to sticking things in their ears or have so much discomfort that sound quality doesn't matter. Also a few folks that don't like the sound. Just shows you that headphones are an individual thing... everyone has their own likes and dislikes and only you can decide what's correct for you. So, try them, support a good company that happens to suport this community, and see what happens. Worst thing that happens? You're out shipping charges. Not bad for an opportunity to demo some good headphones.

Good luck!

Bruce

May 21, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

I think you need to be careful when flying with your Etys, particularly if you're using the rubber tips. At least the foam tips are not airtight, and will let the pressure equalize when taking off and landing. Still I usually don't put them on until after take off, and I remove them when landing. Sentral Dogma -- that sounds painful!!

i was using the foamies!

May 22, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 22
The Etymotics are my primary phone at home or when travelling. The big problem the Etymotics represent as a home phone is that inserting and removing them in a pinch is a bit more of a hassle than just slipping traditional head phones on/off -- and, while wearing them, you often will not hear the telephone ringing, or if someone has rung your bell. They are also so neutral that I sometimes want a bit more warmth, and have yet to find the perfect home amp for use with them.

Matt C

May 23, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 22
Personally (just my experience), I reccomend the ER-6s. They are the cheaper ones. I have listened to both the ER-4P and the ER-6 and, while the ER-4Ps are slightly better, I don't think they justify about double the cost. Again this is my perspective, as I am still in school. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 22
The stems on my ER-4Ps have broken on two separate occasions. I think this is because I take them around campus; they receive a lot of heavy use, and I walk around with them in my ears. Etymotic is wonderful about replacements, but you should know that Etys are atrocious if you want to move around a lot with them - they're not built for hours and hours of continuous movement, and the microphonics are ghastly.

So I use them now when I'm doing homework or otherwise not moving. For walking around, I have a pair of isolating Sony EX-70s. If you intend to jog or something it might be practical to ditch isolating headphones and just pick up a functional, crappy, cheap set of cans.

May 23, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 22
Seraphesque,

The reason why the stems break is because you might of or most likely pulled the silicon or foamies off in the wrong fashion. I learned I was too doing this and broke the stems myself. I quickly readjusted my problem and it has not happened since. So, just because you carry them around, doesn't mean this is the reason why they broke...because I carry mine around all day almost everyday and they receive plenty of beating. Check 100% to make sure that you are taking the tips off correctly. No twisting or bending...you must pull the tips straight off. I will agree though that the Ety's are sometimes annoyingly delicate.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #22 of 22
this is my post on another current ety thread.
Quote:

i feel the flames rising already.

IMO, i don't think they're worth it. and yes i own them.

they're very piercing. physically and sonically.

i think they're way too analytical. i didn't understand what this word meant until i bought ety's.

soundstage? the music is centered at a point about the size of an electron in the middle of your head.

microphonics blow. haven't tried any mods. don't care.

when putting them in, my ear canal gets pressurized, and it hurts. either they slowly even the pressure out by themselves, or your ears get used to it.
hurts my eardrums though.

having music injected straight into my eardrum hurts, even at low volumes. the pressure waves originate like a centimeter from your eardrum!

no bass impact. please don't bring up the "they have lots of bass. it goes all the way down to 20hz and beyond" argument. they don't have impact . period. bass equilizer helps this, but that makes my eardrums hurt even more.

i think ety's have upped my tinnitus a little... also note there have been occasions where i have turned them up for a few songs.

they isolate like no other though.

You don't have to listen to me since headroom has such a sweet-ass return policy though. actually, hahah, you should buy'em from me! i'm gonna put them up in the for sale forum in a few days after i finish my finals. I think i just failed "marketing", though.

once on a flight, with my ety's on, i fell asleep and when i woke up my ears hurt something fierce. I have no clue what happened, either i turned my head and the seat forced the ety's deeper, or since i was asleep i wasn't able to swallow and do that pressure thingy with my ears, and something with pressure messed with my eardrums. just my experience.

IMO, really can't recommend them for all around headphones.
Did your eardrums recover or was it a permanent thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back