Etymotic ER-4S arrived!
Dec 10, 2001 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
They're here! I listened for a bit and they sound GREAT... no need to tell how awesome the isolation is. I hope to post a nice review this weekend comparing the 4S to the Sony 888 and the Alessandro MSP on both my Melos SHA-1 and the JMT-built CMoy/Apheared 47 in an altoid box that I have. Stay tuned!
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 19
Congrats on the purchase, Dan! Can't wait to hear your impressions, especially with the Melos. I think it's pretty awesome the attention Etys have been getting recently. They certainly deserve every bit of it! Enjoy the music and the isolation -- it's an unbeatable combo!

Dec 10, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 19
Ohh, not fair!
frown.gif

I've been waiting 2 weeks to get my ER-4S from Hawaii. So much for US postal service even trying to maintain their 2-3 day Priority mail reputation.

EDIT: Well speak of the devil (or his toys). They're finally here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

I hope to post a nice review this weekend comparing the 4S to the Sony 888

Gee, I would have been able to do that until the dog ate both of 'em!
Congratulations, Dan...........you have a great pair of 'phones there. Just don't let any canine near them!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Congratulations Dan!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Happy Listening!!

Dec 11, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 19
It's an amp designed by Headwize Honcho Chu Moy, modified by Head-Fi Moderator Apheared, and built by Head-Fi Moderator JMT. The design is usually called CHA47 and is built using an Altoids tin as the amplifier housing. That's about all I can tell you about it.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 19
Dan, I'm anxious to hear your impressions of the Etys vs. the MS Pros. If you get a chance, please post with a brief comparison. Since my dog ate my Etys today, I've been listening to the MS Pros, which I haven't done in awhile. The sound is, well...........different.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 19
OK, so about the CHA47 again... How well does it work? Could I get schematics for it? And how much do the components for it cost? I would like a headphone amplifier, but the amps at headroom seem to be huge! An altoid sized amplifier sounds much more reasonable! Thanks!

Michael

Dec 11, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 19
DanG...aren't those little suckers incredible!? Congratulations on your new toy. One question though....is it the rubber tips or the foamies for you?
confused.gif
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 19
Son of a pup, we've all gone Etymotics insane. I can't tell you how many people I've heard not just talking about buying Etys, but actually pulling the trigger. And who said that our economy is in the dumper? I'm gonna buy some stock in Ety!

Dec 11, 2001 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 19
At first the rubber tips were a little too uncomfortable for me so I used the foamies for a few hours last night. But then I went back to the rubber tips just to try them out and they fit fine. So I think I'll stick with the rubber tips as I can wash them and re-use them more times.

It will take me a while to do a comparison between the ER-4S and the MSP because I still have a lot of work to do this week. But this weekend I'll try to do it!

About the CHA47: go visit www.headwize.com . You'll find all you need to know about how to build one of these. If you need help with building one, please visit our DIY forum or the one at headwize.

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Son of a pup, we've all gone Etymotics insane. I can't tell you how many people I've heard not just talking about buying Etys, but actually pulling the trigger.

Grados and their forward and on-the-stage sound rules the forums less than a year ago. Then somehow Sennheisers took over with that smooth laidback sound. Now it looks like Etymotic's turn. It's all about the bandwagon. Ride the wave.
wink.gif

I wonder what will be next?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back