Etymotic ER-4Ps for $215 ??
Apr 25, 2002 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheWolf

New Head-Fier
Xin Feng over on fixup.net mentions on his page:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

that he saw in one of the forums an online minidisc dealer selling ER-4Ps for about $215.

I've searched the forums high and low, as well as the net, and the best I can do is ER-4Ss for $247 (other than ebay).

Does anyone know which dealer is/was selling for 215?

Thanks.

/Curt

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 6
The stuff about the Etys on sale for $215 is really old. I don't think you are gonna have much luck finding a brand new pair for any less than 260 - 270 these days.

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 6
I have a perhaps somewhat naive question about this. When you see expensive items like this on Ebay, and someone is selling, say, three or for units of the thing described as "new in box", what are you to think?

I mean, did they "fall off the truck"? Are they counterfeit? Refurbished or defective? Did the person receive them as wedding gifts from audiophile friends or what?

I'm just not familiar with Ebay culture.

Thanks, DGI

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 6
I find these descriptions somewhat confusing myself. From experience, such items are usually b-stock stuff or overstocked stuff sold cheap to the buyer from the past. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD-590s from eBay and when the packaged arrived in the mail, it turned out that the headphones were indeed genuine stuff, but the packaging was in german, LOL
biggrin.gif

This is not always the case though, your best bet is to email the seller and ask him/her about the particular item that you are interested in. Hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Many of the sellers on E-bay are actual merchants looking to move stock. It is another way to reach more customers. The suggestion to contact the seller for specifics on an item was a good one. Often they have end of the model year items that are new in the box but a new updated model is due out shortly. Know what you are buying

John

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. I ask because I've seen multiple pairs of Etymotics "new in box" on Ebay, from the same seller. Now, Etymotics aren't the kind of stock item that show up at Best Buy or other mainstream dealers, and they don't (afaik) change model profiles from year to year. So this seemed awfully fishy. I guess "caveat emptor" would apply strongly in such a case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back