Etymotic ER-4P + Cowon players
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LDM

New Head-Fier
What are your opinions on such a combination? After much reading around here, I have read conflicting opinions. I'm looking around for the 16 GB+ area, and Cowon players are very esteemed. Obviously players like the iAudio 7 and the D2 have very analytical sounds. Some have loved the pairing, while others have said that the neutral sound of the cans is not a good mix with the Cowons. The only amp that will be used is the FiiO, as both price and portability allow for that. Unless a very strong argument can be presented to convince me otherwise.

So, because I do not have the ability to test-drive these, what do you think? Honestly, the best combo that people have mentioned with the 4Ps is with the iPod. Yes? No? Another player? I have listened to the iAudio 7 once before and liked it quite a bit, but again, it was with some average headphones not of the 4P's caliber.

Thanks.

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I use ER4P and ER6 with iAudio 7. I don't see a need for an external amp with these IEMs. I'm very happy with this combo. The great thing with the i7 is the extensive sound enhancements. Use no EQ for a pure sound or tweak for a bassier, warmer sound. The 50 hour+ battery life is also a bonus.

I prefer the SQ of i7 over iPod shuffle (1G & 2G) and 5.5G Video.

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow I don't like the combination of D2 and ER4p. They are both extremely analytical and lacks of bass which make many songs boring.

Do you have another recommendation, then? Because this is what I'm worried about. And is it the same case, in your opinion, with the i7?

Great Dane, would you describe the combination as fairly equal in bass, mid-range, and treble with a slight warmth? While I am aiming for a fairly neutral sound (no TF10s, unfortunately), this overly-analytical and processed feel is also to be avoided.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 11
I haven't heard the i7 but I think they have the same sound signature.

If you still love the Cowons, I'd suggest thinking about the SE530 which has warm and bassy sound. It'll be a good combination with the Cowon.

And if you want to keep the ER4p and change the player, think about the Sony. I do love their warm and lush sound.

I always try not to buy source and headphones that have the same sound signature.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great Dane, would you describe the combination as fairly equal in bass, mid-range, and treble with a slight warmth? While I am aiming for a fairly neutral sound (no TF10s, unfortunately), this overly-analytical and processed feel is also to be avoided.

With a "reference" track(no EQ) I'd describe the i7/ER4P combo are very detailed overall. Mids and treble is very good but bass can be too lean which is a compliment...meaning they don't exaggerate bass(no boomy mess). With bass heavy electronic music the ER4P delivers ample bass that is clean and tight. I wouldn't describe this combo as HD 650 warm...that's my "reference" HP.

IMO the i7/ER4P isn't "overly-analytical". Some ety users complain that the ER4 is too harsh or has too much treble. I don't feel this way. I often listen with EQ active where I boost bass and treble...they sound very fun this way and remind me of my Beyer DT-880.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I haven't heard the i7 but I think they have the same sound signature.

If you still love the Cowons, I'd suggest thinking about the SE530 which has warm and bassy sound. It'll be a good combination with the Cowon.

And if you want to keep the ER4p and change the player, think about the Sony. I do love their warm and lush sound.

I always try not to buy source and headphones that have the same sound signature.

Oh, no; I'm not in love with Cowon (nor do I dislike them). I'll go with whatever player sounds good, but I will stick with the 4Ps. I'm trying to go with a fairly flat/neutral (yes, there's a difference, I know) sound with being overly analytical ala MFSL records. Mid-range is key and a tad warm while still retaining the original music's intent-- the latter being less important. But overly detailed, ick. That's why I didn't get the 4S, as I wasn't going for monitor listening quality.

The problem with the Sony players is the expense. The NWZ-A729 is $300 for 16 GB. Eh...

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Oh, no; I'm not in love with Cowon (nor do I dislike them). I'll go with whatever player sounds good, but I will stick with the 4Ps. I'm trying to go with a fairly flat/neutral (yes, there's a difference, I know) sound with being overly analytical ala MFSL records. Mid-range is key and a tad warm while still retaining the original music's intent-- the latter being less important. But overly detailed, ick. That's why I didn't get the 4S, as I wasn't going for monitor listening quality.

The problem with the Sony players is the expense. The NWZ-A729 is $300 for 16 GB. Eh...

I have a Cowon D2/ER4P combo. I boost the 80Hz and 230Hz eq a lot with Mach3bass. I prefer eq over IEMs with a bass hump. I have more control. But that's just me.

An inexpensive amp to add is the PA2V2 from Electric-Avenues with a Cardas mini IC. It adds warmth.

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Yeah the Sony DAPs are always expensive. But its sound quality is undeniable. It's the best player unamped I've ever used. When using amp, iPod has no rival
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Yeah the Sony DAPs are always expensive. But its sound quality is undeniable. It's the best player unamped I've ever used. When using amp, iPod has no rival
tongue.gif

I'll definitely look into the Sony players, still.

If I were to use the iPod (probably latest Nano) amped, what amps + ICs would I use? Something like the Minibox-D is fairly small and relatively inexpensive... I don't like the FiiO amp (including E5) would be able to really provide much for the iPod. And size is the most important factor, so...

wuwhere, how "natural" does the EQ end up making your music sound on your D2/P4 combo?

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I'll definitely look into the Sony players, still.

If I were to use the iPod (probably latest Nano) amped, what amps + ICs would I use? Something like the Minibox-D is fairly small and relatively inexpensive... I don't like the FiiO amp (including E5) would be able to really provide much for the iPod. And size is the most important factor, so...

Just grasp any low-profile LOD out there and you'll be fine.
The Fiio doesn't have volume control so you can't use with a LOD.

The Minibox-d looks really slim. But you can wait for the forthcoming iBasso T3 which is supposed to very very slim and may fit the new Nano perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back