Etymotic ER-4 Decision Time
Jul 3, 2004 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Chiboy

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but here goes:

I want to get a pair of ER-4s. I will mainly listen to them thru an iRiver imp-350 which will have a headphone amp as soon as I can figure that out.
280smile.gif

I also would like to occasionally listen to these sweet phones thru my Adcom GFA-545 II amp (and Rotel changer). For this reason, I'm thinking that I should go with the ER-4S, rather than the ER-4P. Even though I will probably get an amp that will allow me to switch the 4P to 4S, I get the impression that the 4S is just plain a more realistic sound. So why artificially boost the bass? And why spend $40-$50 to convert the 4Ps to 4Ss with the adaptor cord when I can put that money towards an amp?

So do y'all agree? I haven't heard either phone enough to really know, so I'm just trying to make the right decision and then buy from one of the head-fi sponsors (who happens to have a pretty nice price).

If you're still with me, I'd also like some advice on an amp that will work well with the iRiver, hopefully for $150 or less, new or used.

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 45
Skip the P.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 45
These guys convinced me to stick with the ER-4S's over the ER-4P's, and I'm gonna be putting my order in at Headroom in the next few days. If you plan on using them with an amp at any time, stick with the 4S's
etysmile.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 45
I'd say go with the S, except....
I think it's best to test running around with an amp for a bit. Some (and I go back and forth) feel it's not always practical to carry around another gadget on the go. Except maybe the Xin amps, you're doubling the size of everything for the P/S difference, and that's a judgment call, as that difference is sometimes exaggerated here, IMO. For those reasons it may be worth the extra for the adapter. Gives you both options. That said, I have the adapter, and its on about 80% of the time, so in my transportable situations, it's almost always a 'S'.

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 45
Jul 3, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
I'm getting an ER4S as well, question is, where in the world can you get it for $150? The cheapest one I found is from IDealSound, at $188.

I think Chiboy is referring to an amp.

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 45
Get the ER4S, use the $40 on the amp.
By the way, what amp are you getting?

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 45
The difference is here:
For $188:
FREE FAST PRIORITY MAIL (2-3 DAY) SHIPPING
FREE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION

For $199:
FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING (ORDERS BEFORE 2:00 PM PST)
FREE TRACKING NUMBER

That's it. You better go for the 188 one since the shipping is for the lower 48 US States only
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 45
[size=x-small]Hmm - time to take the 15 minute drive to the other end of town. Let's see, plug my 'phones into amp - connect special custom 4" mini to mini cable from my amp to my Ipod - flip a few switches, etc., etc. Now I'm here - disconnect all the wires, 'cause I don't wish to look like one of those FBI dudes, and shove it all in my pockets - then start all over....[/size]

Point is it's not bad to have a straight plug-in option for certain situations. Especially when amps like the SuperDual let you do the P->S conversion with the flip of a switch. Of course for me I just pop in the E5s in those situations, as they're better straight from the box.

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 45
Hi,

The cable on the 4P is now different from the 4S, at least it was at one stage. The new cable on the 4P is less microphonic. Perhaps someone on the group can correct me if I am wrong and the 4S cable has now also been changed. Xin has a cheaper adaptor than the Etymotics one.
http://www.fixup.net/products/

Either way, great cans. You will probably take a week or two to get used to them. Try the different tips. I personaly cannot get as good a seal with the tri-flanges, but I know that this is just my ears and that others prefer them.

Regards
John

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 45
Heehe, sorry I misfired

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 45
Thanks for all the responses! The $150 is was referring to was my budget for an amp, not the price of new ER4s, although that would be nice
600smile.gif

I don't know what amp to get, and that actually was a small part of my original post, so any ideas would be appreciated. I have heard good things about the Xin Super Dual, but am certainly open to any suggestion.

I don't plan to be moving (walking or running) when listening to these headphones, so amp size is not important. I mainly will use these when reading or just listening to music in bed, as well as the ocassional airplane flight.

I'm sure I can't go wrong with the Ety's; I'm just trying to make the absolute best decision for me before I plunk down the cash.

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 45
Hey Chiboy,

1st recommendation: ER4S + PIMETA amp. I think JMT sells an altoids PIMETA for $100.

2nd: ER4P. No amp required.

The sonic differences between the ER4P and ER4S are there, but the ER4P is still excellent. Some folks like myself do not like carrying portable amps, so I reserve the use of my ER4S at home.

Jul 5, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 45
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to go with the 4S's, knowing that I'll pop for an amp in the very near future. I appreciate all the advice and ideas. This sure is a great forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back