Etymotic ER-4 Crew: How Often Do You Find Yourself Changing Your Foam Plugs?
Jan 16, 2005 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
See title, and what size do you guys perfer (if you've reordered)?

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 13
I watched that movie 4 times at the theatre when it came out, Buffalo Bill.

I used the foam plugs for a while, found myself obssing about the fit, then switched to the flanges. IMO, they are hassle-free and don't show the earwax buildup as much

icon10.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Buffalo Bill --

I have slightly larger ear canals than most, so my foamies do not squish too much...
But with normal daily use and good care, I find myself changing them every three months.

Your mileage may vary, especially considering your ear canal size and frequency of use.
Every one to three months is about the average -- some more often and others less.

But if you are out of that range, no worries -- foamies are not very expensive.

BANGPOD

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 13
I use it for 4 hours a day, and I have to change my foam once a week.
I have notice a degrade in sound quality after a week. Sound has becoming so dry and losing bass.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
I used the foam plugs for a while, found myself obssing about the fit, then switched to the flanges. IMO, they are hassle-free and don't show the earwax buildup as much

icon10.gif

I'm finding that the seal in my left ear feels looser than my right ear, and maybe it even isn't getting sealed enough (loss of bass). Is this what you are talking about?

Jan 16, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
I'm finding that the seal in my left ear feels looser than my right ear, and maybe it even isn't getting sealed enough (loss of bass). Is this what you are talking about?

I had that problem when i first started using foamies, but a few pairs later i figured out that if you just work them (read roll them in your fingers until uniform and pliable) the seal is perfect everytime.

Mediums work just fine for me.
etysmile.jpg

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill

They seal alright. I roll them and put them in, then they don't feel right, so I take them out, roll again, put them back in, fiddle again...
It's just plug and play (jeez!) with the flanges.

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
...if you just work them (read roll them in your fingers until uniform and pliable) the seal is perfect everytime. Mediums work just fine for me.

Ditto! I give 'em a hot-water & antibacterial soap bath every two weeks & they re-expand [almost] to the original size & shape.

The flanges hurt & thus never got used to 'em.

Jan 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
I use it for 4 hours a day, and I have to change my foam once a week.
I have notice a degrade in sound quality after a week. Sound has becoming so dry and losing bass.

I agree about the sound changes, it just creeps up on you.
I have tried reconditioning/washing them with very hot water and used a hair
dryer to re expand them, but the consistency of the rubber changes
and they soon return to their 'tired' state.
I did consider whether a tyre softener used for model race car foam tyres
would help, probably would, but the chemicals are a bit nasty for contact
with ones delicate ear linnings...And toxic.
Perhaps there are more human friendly reconditioners out there?
That said the foamies are not overly expensive.
Mine will last 1-2 weeks depending on usage.

Setmenu

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 13
About once a month for me. I could make them go longer probably. I love the feel and sound of new foamies, and since they are so cheap, sometimes I just say I am going to treat myself today and put some new foamies on.

I would say if you think it is time to change them, or if something is annoying you about them, just change them. Don't feel like you need them to last as long as somebody else. If each foamie were let's say $10, then maybe some conservation would be in order.

Cheers,
dshea

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
i just use the silicon cause its easyer to put on / off

+1

I just don't understand the foam plugs. I prefer the tri-flange for comfort, consistency, durability, and ease of use. For example, with the foam plugs, once you have that ideal seal suppose you need to pull them out to speak to someone two or three times over a thirty minute period? Is it as easy and simple as pulling a tri-flange out and reinserting? I would like to be able to use the foamies as I am interested in the UM2, but it is based exclusively around the foam plugs. This is a major drawback to me.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereign
+1

I just don't understand the foam plugs. I prefer the tri-flange for comfort, consistency, durability, and ease of use. For example, with the foam plugs, once you have that ideal seal suppose you need to pull them out to speak to someone two or three times over a thirty minute period? Is it as easy and simple as pulling a tri-flange out and reinserting? I would like to be able to use the foamies as I am interested in the UM2, but it is based exclusively around the foam plugs. This is a major drawback to me.

Since no two ears are alike I would expect peoples preferences to differ.
I do use the ety silicon tips with their ER20 ear plugs , and can wear them for hours with no problem
biggrin.gif

The same tips with the ER4 and its rigid plastic tip tend to be uncomfortable.

As for removing and reinserting the foamies, this can be accomplished in a
few seconds.

setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back