Etymotic DIY Fixup cable: which material
Jul 15, 2003 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
i intend to get the ER-4S/P. i would like to try to make something Fixup used to sell:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm
i would like to buy the best possible cable for that task for best sound quality.

oh, and if you could recommend for the plug it would be nice.
where do you guys think i should place the resistors?

Jul 15, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Heh, easier said than done, my friend. Easier said that done. I've been working on an ety cable for a fellow head-fi'er for quite a few months, and i can honostly say that the results haven't been worth the effort that i've put into the project. I can't imagine the fix-up cable sounds good, given that it's made from copper, as opposed to the silver cable of the stock ety cable, and all copper designs that i've used kinda take some of the magic away from the ety sound. The only alternative is silver wire, and it's bloody expensive. 25 feet, enough for one 5 foot cable, costs 45 dollars at AM systems, using 32 gauge. (Smaller wire sounds better with etys, large wire causes the bass to be exagerated.) With plugs, heatshrink, and the works, the project will end up costing 75 dollars or more, and there's not much that you can do to really dampen the microphonic traits of the cable.

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 12
damn! i hate things not simple & cheap
so if i'll get the P version (less microphonic), is the shirt clip openable so i'll swap resistors to these of the S version?

Jul 16, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 12
First of all, I don't think it's worth your effort to swap out the resistors on the premise that the ER-4P's are less microphonic. I have the 4P's, and they sound loud as ever if they happen to touch my shirt (or anything else for that matter). However, to answer your question, yes, the clip is "detachable" if you would call it that. It snaps snugly over the fat rubber case that houses the ER-4X resistor.

And another thing, you should probably consider getting the ER-4S version if you value increased detail (and if you have an amp). That said, I don't really see why you would ever need an upgrade cable given that the ER-4S's are IMO the best canalphones ever made.

However, if I had the same problems, I'd probably start by upgrading my source, my power supply, interconnects, and amp. Of course that's just me
smily_headphones1.gif
If you feel a cable upgrade is still the best option (although I would have to differ), then you might want to look around for an experienced DIY'er (and not to mention about $75 as Ebonyks said).

Jul 16, 2003 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 12
davidmiya,
Quote:

I don't think it's worth your effort to swap out the resistors on the premise that the ER-4P's are less microphonic. I have the 4P's, and they sound loud as ever if they happen to touch my shirt

if the P is knows to be less microphonic, be sure that if you had the S you wouldn't like it at all! BTW, you can put the wires arond you ears (like earhuggers), and people say they are much less microphonic that way. you can also buy cheap earhuggers, and swap the phones themselves with the ety's, and you can also then throw the wire behid your back - someone here said it helps a lot (well, not very comfy with a bag but what the hell i'll try it)
Quote:

And another thing, you should probably consider getting the ER-4S version if you value increased detail (and if you have an amp). That said, I don't really see why you would ever need an upgrade cable given that the ER-4S's are IMO the best canalphones ever made.

well, ain't swapping the resistors all about making a less microphonic S version?
wink.gif
so..is it EASY to open the resistors box and change them? what type of resistors do i need? i understand that resistors are also variable in quality.
Quote:

However, if I had the same problems, I'd probably start by upgrading my source, my power supply, interconnects, and amp

what problems? check out my rigs in my signature. i doubt that i'm in some source problem
600smile.gif

have a nice day!

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12
That's the adapter that will change the ER-4P to ER-4S. And yes, it will do it's job satisfactorily. However, I think Adam was looking for a souped-up cable that will surpass the cable used in the ER's in terms of sound and comfort. Given his rig, he's probably in for a cable upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 12
A lot of places often use silicone spray to minimize noise associated with the rubbing between materials. Does anyone know if this would help with the stock ER-4P cable? I shot off an email to Etymotic asking the same thing.

Jul 18, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 12
I actually use silicon spray quite often. It serves as a great lubricant for Rubik's Cubes (notice my avatar). However, silicon spray is nothing more than a bunch of volatile gases and chemicals mixed with a little bit of the actual lubricant. Thus, when the lubricant dries, it forms a thin film that supposedly reduces friction. However, I don't see how this film would reduce noise at all. Yes, it will slide more easily over objects, but the noise reduction would probably be negligible.

Jul 18, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 12
my intention is to get a cable that will equal the original cable at least. when i said i want "vest sound quality", i meant that the replacement cable needs to be such, as i understand the original is very good sound quality (ety's are ety's)

Hiker.
i don't want to BUY a $45 + shipping cable, thank you. i want it cheap as possible. i would only pay that kind of extra if it would be a replacement cable that beats the original.

people, my main question remain:
is the shirt clip openable so i'll swap resistors to these of the S version, EASY?

Jul 31, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 12
No, the shirt clip is just a shirt clip. The resistors are completely encased in plastic. That plastic barrel is what the shirt clip grabs on to on the cord. There is no hatch to open that barrel.

Do yourself a favor. Just try the Etys! Don't worry about changing cables just yet. If you don't have an amp, get the ER4P. You can always buy (see above link or Fixup's site) or make a cable yourself that adds the resistance necessary to make the P the same as (or slightly different from) the S. Do a quick search here to see how to wire the connections and see what the values are for the resistors. If you have an amp and are planning on listening at home, just get the ER4S.

BTW: from all the reviews that I've read of Etys, I've never heard anyone complaining or making any note at all of a difference between an ER4P + adapter cable to make it equivalent to the ER4S compared to an ER4S. Doesn't mean that someone might be able to notice a difference. But...

RE: Microphonics from canalphones are NOT something that can be dampened by resistor or silicone spray or by much of anything. It's the design of the canalphones that produces the microphonic effect. Yes, some cables can minimize it. But it's mainly due to having your ears near totally occluded.

Partial solutions abound. Use the shirt clip (keeps the cord from moving tooo far away from your body and then having it WHACK back into your body, producing a loud and annoying sound). Wrap the headphone wires around your ears (same philosophy as above, just different technique). Do a search and you'll find a wide variety of ways to try and minimize the effects.

What works best for me? I just sit still and listen to music. No microphonics!

Bruce

Jul 31, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
RE: Microphonics from canalphones are NOT something that can be dampened by resistor

sure. but if the cable of the P is less microphonic , and if we could open the resistors box, so it would be nice to buy the P and switch is to S and get less microphonics.
i ordered the P. that way i can experiment with values of resistors to my taste with a self made extention cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back