Etymotic Digi-K, the best hearing aid?
Jul 29, 2006 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

iluvcans

100+ Head-Fier
I'll try to make this short but sweet.

This post is a follow up to my original postings on the Digi-K hearing aid-- by Etymotic. If you want more info on my impressions, do a head-fi search on hearing aid-- or pm me...

http://www.etymotic.com/ha/digik.aspx

In short-- I highly recommend any hearing impaired "audiophile", "music-phile" or whatever you claim to be, to seriously check out Etymotic's Digi-K hearing aid. It is comparable in price to other digital hearing aids on the market and in terms of $$$ to fidelity ratio, out-performs them all.

From my exhaustive search for a hearing aid that will match my good left ear (I have 1 "good" and 1 "bad" ear-- I am a professional musician and very picky about my "audio experience" in life) I've learned a few things about the "hunt" for an aid that might help you out:

1. everybody is going to tell you that their aid is the best. it doesn't necessarily matter if it's the best aid for you.
2. hearing aid dispensers are often very aggressive about pushing their line of aids (ones that they're familiar with the programming of) on the consumer. my advice to the buyer looking to get the most from their aid-- do your homework (or listen to me
tongue.gif
).
3. once you get it, make sure the damn thing is adjusted to your hearing loss correctly! an incorrectly programmed aid is worthless. this is where it becomes extremely difficult for a consumer to compare/contrast hearing aids-- as we all have different levels of hearing loss and are at the mercy of the audiologist, on whether the aid is matched to your hearing loss correctly. 99% of consumers (including myself) remain "prey" to the aid manufacturers and don't really know if what we're getting is the "best" aid. be persistent in obtaining a good fit from your audiologist! if you're unsure on whether you have a good fit or not, arrange to have the manufacturing company have a look at it. it's worth the time to do this if you aren't sure.
4. if you believe an analog aid might sound better,

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-3.html

you might be right, but it remains strong that the direction of hearing aid manufacturing is going digital. you might not be able to obtain an analog aid in 5-10 yrs and i'd just assume not screw with going through the hassle of the analog route because i want to remain more mainstream here. ALSO-- this digi-k sounds so good to my ear. i'm happy. let me remain ignorant and my ignorance will be my bliss.. i can also produce several instances where people have found the digital to sound much better than an analog... you do the research here-- if you are still curious about analog vs digital fidelity. i'm happy with the digital.

mead killion (owner of etymotic) has done more research (that i can find anywhere) on hearing aids and aid- fidelity and has documented more testing with isolated fidelity testing than any other producer of hearing aids that i know of. i'm impressed.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 3
Are you still satisfied with you Etymotic hearing aid?
I am a musician with a hearing problem and have Starkey aids.  Probably a mistake, I should have researched more to find something with greater bandwidth. I would appreciate you advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back