Etymotic Customer Service Appreciation/ER4 Fan Thread!
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HeadRush

New Head-Fier
As a family, we have purchased 6 pairs of Etymotic IEMs over the last 10 years.  I thought that it was only 5, but my son informed me that he bought a pair of ER4s while in college that I never knew about.

I am unable to count how many times I have contacted Etymotic about one thing or another.  If I need some accessory, it is in my mailbox within a few days.  If I need advice or instructions or an opinion, they are right there, right now.  I mean, they call me or immediately email me exactly what it is that I need to know.  They stop whatever it is that they are doing just to answer a question.

I recently took advantage of their "Out of Warranty & Special Purchase Option".  My wife had a pair of ER6s that had one side go dead on her.  Now these were the ER6 model which was discontinued I don't know when.  She has had them for a long, long time and used them daily.  I mean we are talking near-indestructable quality here.

I sent them in to Etymotic, and it happened to be Thanksgiving weekend.  The Post Office tried to deliver them on Friday and Saturday, but Etymotic Research was closed.  I called Rick Carlson at Etymotic on Monday and explained to him that the ER6s were sitting at his Post Office.  I explained to him that what I wanted to replace them with was the ER4PT IEMs and I was wondering if he could help me locate my package that I sent and let me know that everything was alright.

I had a brand new pair of ER4Ps in hand in two days.  TWO DAYS!!  I couldn't believe it.  I was just floored as I have never been treated to this kind of service by anyone, anywhere, anytime for anything!

Now, the topper.  When I placed my order, Etymotic had, and still does have until 12/15, an offer for a free P-to-S cable if you purchase the ER4PT.  This is a $50 cable that they are throwing in for free with the purchase.

Well, the cable was not included in my delivered package.  It is an essential component that I need to have with the work that I do.  It wasn't until Thursday night that I opened the package, so I wrote to Rick on Friday.  I believe he had left for the day.

Today, Rick emailed me and simply said, "Hello Tim, I will take care of this for you."

I got to thinking that ANY other company would have given me a hard time and come up with some excuse or another to NOT include the free cable due to the fact that this was a discounted purchase under their generous Special Purchase Option.  I saved $120 just through the Special Purchase and Rick was kind enough to throw me the free cable advertised, I'm sure, for the ER4PTs at full price.  He didn't have to handle my question this way.  He just knows that when he takes care of one customer, that customer will come back, and he is earning future customers many times over just by word of mouth alone.  

Etymotic is a company with integrity, from bottom to top.  That is hard to find in this day and age and in this economy.

I have dealt with many other manufacturers and not a single one of them can compare to Etymotic customer service.

I have spent the last 20 years working for a company who has been consistently ranked 1,2 or 3 in Fortune Magazines Top 100 Companies to Work for in America.  They empower all of their employees to "take care of the customers".  So, believe me, I know customer service.  

It is only done right by taking care of one customer at a time and never, ever letting them walk away unsatisfied, or even worse, mad.  The customer IS always right and when you treat them as you would like to be treated, you have a customer for life.  They, in turn, tell everyone that they know where to go to be treated like kings and queens.  Etymotic has this down to a science, along with their knowledge of all things auditory.

I have noticed many head-fiers have more than one set of IEMs.  Many times that extra set is Etymotic.  That is a testament to the company, the science behind their product, and their customer service.  No doubt about it.  Time and time again, I read of someone looking for that "perfect" set of earphones.  They think they have found them, they buy them and eventually sell them and go back to their Etys; until the next "holy grail" opportunity comes along.

I am in no way related to anyone at Etymotic.  I am just another customer that they have WOWed along the way; in my case it has been for almost 10 years.  It is just that this time, I was in awe enough to stop and let you all know my experiences with them.  We need to know who takes care of us and who will put us first, ahead of profit and for the good of their company name, which is priceless.  Once we know who these companies are, we need to spend our money with them.  Again, and again, and again.

Etymotic Research, Inc. is unparalleled, unequaled, above and beyond the call and far gone out of their way kind and generous, and they are one of a kind.  Do yourself a big favor.  If you don't own a pair of Etys, buy a pair.  In fact, take advantage of that free cable offer and pick up a set of ER4s right now.  You will hear sound the way it was intended to be heard and you will be patronizing an American company that will truly appreciate your business, forever.

Timothy
HeadRush

P.S.
The ER4PTs sound like nothing I have ever heard before.  Sweet, pure, unadulterated.  Mind you, that is with only one hour in my ears.  I look forward to using Etys for the rest of my life.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes!  I've contacted Rick a couple of times for small things, and they take care of the small things as fast and curteously as a sale for $250 phones.  It's nice to know that a company's customer service matches their excellent product quality!

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Yes!  I've contacted Rick a couple of times for small things, and they take care of the small things as fast and curteously as a sale for $250 phones.  It's nice to know that a company's customer service matches their excellent product quality!

Rick is just one of the people there that has helped me in the past, kmhaynes.  

It seems like customer service goes by the wayside around major holidays like these.  Like, here is the reduced price for this holiday, take it or leave it and that is it for each and every transaction in ANY store out there.  I detest risking life and limb to wake up at midnight to shop for a deal with the possibility or getting maced or shot ever present.  Not gonna do it. Not gonna do it.

I will shop online only from now on.  Thanks to awesome head-fiers on this board who alert each other to online deals, it just doesn't make sense to leave home.

Plus, when you encounter people like Rick, and the rest of the crew at Etymotic it just makes it that much more fun.

Please tell me we are not the only two on this board with a positive experience to go along with some great IEMs from Etymotic!

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 5
I have been fortunate enough to never need to contact Etymotic Research for any reason.  The product I purchased has worked exactly the way it was intended without fail.  It is comforting to know that should there be a problem, I have excellent customer service to rely on.  I have only owned (and still do) one Etymotic product and I am very satisfied with it.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Have to agree, their customer service cannot be bettered. I once had a driver housing crack out of warranty. Sent it in for repair, within days they'd sent me a brand new pair at no charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back