Etymotic 4p observation
Oct 10, 2003 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tyson

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, had mine for about 3 weeks and noticed something interesting - when listening with my eyes open the soundstage and imaging seems very small, like little miniature musicians are playing little miniature instrments inside of my head. But, when I close my eyes, the music just seems to explode and it sounds huge. Anyone else noticed this phenomenon? It happens to a lesser extent with my other headphones, but w/the Ety's it is quite dramatic.

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Yeah, this has been my experience too. I first noticed it listening in the dark. A psychological component of listening no doubt. I've also noticed that if I'm focused on the microphonics (I obssessed a little when I first got them) it's more bothersome. It goes away if I let myself be taken by the music.

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 14
I find the same thing with the Grado 225's and Sony V6's if you close your eyes while drinking wine.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Tyson, this is exactly how I feel. It is amazing how large the soundstage seems when I close my eyes. It feels enormous and much more so than with other headphones that Ive tried with my eyes open or closed. This is partially why these make great headphones for listening to right before going to sleep (of course this is not the only time I use them). With it dark in the room and my eyes closed, I get great imaging and my roommate has absolutely no clue that I am even listening to music.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Perhaps it's my ninja stealth movement skills but the 'microphonics' while definitely present hardly bother me. As an intellectual comparison, yes it is probably the worst phone for 'microphonics' I have.

I don't know about the soundstage. They're good for earphones but I'm not hearing anything particularly impressive even with eyes closed. Good imaging, but not spectacular.

Oct 13, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 14
I also want to say that the microphonics are not bothersome to me either. I will never deny their presence because they are there. I hear them clearly when the music is off and I do notice them sometimes even when the music is playing. However, for the most part, when the music is playing, it is the music that I pay attention to, not the microphonics. I don't really think it is something I got used to either since they never seemed to bother me even from the start.

Oct 14, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Another thing i've noticed is that the soundstage gets noticably larger when I cup my hands around the ears. Obviously there is no actual change in the sound but my brain somehow perceives the sound is coming from my hands around the ears. When I use the virtualiser DSP while forming the cups the soundstage is easily as expansive as DT880s in my memory.

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Wait till you listen to ety while you are under the influence of controlled substance (eg. cannabis sativa).

The feeling is transcendental.

biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Perhaps it's my ninja stealth movement skills but the 'microphonics' while definitely present hardly bother me. As an intellectual comparison, yes it is probably the worst phone for 'microphonics' I have.

It could also be your purple ski mask....
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Isn't this because when you close your eyes, you don't use that one (of your 5) senses, and your other senses become more receptive? For example, people who are blind have better perceptions of sound and touch. I wonder if that is what's happening... essentially, you're listening more when you aren't looking? Hmm....

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 14
i dont believe the heightening of the senses occurs this quickly, one has to be without a sense for a while before there is a major change. If you "hear" better in the dark while camping, its probably because there isnt a freeway rushing by
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 14
There are a few reasons. In basic terms, your perceptual experience changes because of the sensory input being received. Your vision system and your hearing system function together, on a basic and on an advanced level. When you close your eyes, you lose one of your sensory inputs (obviously). Naturally it is easier for you to concentrate more on what you are hearing with out being distracted by your vision. There are other reasons too, but I wouldn't want to bore you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not a cognitive psychologist so I apologize if that doesn't completely answer your question. I would have to grab out my Sensation and Perception textbook to give you a more detailed answer. Although I am proud of myself for remembering all the details of V1 and the LGN, even if I didn't go into it.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm new to this forum - I went directly from iPod buds to the er4p.

etysmile.gif

another thing I noticed with my etys is that they make me want to listen to "good" music. I mean now I need real guitars and drums, orchestras etc. I want to hear those strings plucked, the wispers in the background, snare drums beat. just regular mainstream digital pop stuff bores me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back