Etymotic 4P and the iPod
Aug 5, 2003 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bthall

100+ Head-Fier
If one attaches the wired remote to the iPod before plugging in the Ety 4P (into the other end of the remote), does one change the character of the sound (vs. just plugging the Ety 4P directly into the iPod)?

Thanks,
BarryT

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 10
well, one would think that it wouldn't change things. But I've always noticed a slight difference on my pcdp's with and without the inline remote, and have always preferred it without the inline remote... its hard to describe, but something about the signal going through the remote first somehow changes the sound, the high end... And since Ety's have been noted on here to be rather revealing, not only of recordings limitations, but of system limitations (revealing hiss, or pops that one might not have noticed coming from their equipment), I would guess that they might amplify or reveal any effects the remote would have.

Is there an Ety and iPod owner here who can verify this?

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 10
The apple remote is actually pretty good as far as not distorting the sound. I have not heard much, if at all, any difference with my iPod and ER4P.

Functionality of the remote is another issue...

Aug 5, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 10
The only issue I've notice with the remote is when you have the Ipod charging while you are playing it. You will notice a slight hum when touching the remote. Other than that I think it sounds about the same.

Aug 6, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
The apple remote is actually pretty good as far as not distorting the sound. I have not heard much, if at all, any difference with my iPod and ER4P.

Functionality of the remote is another issue...

amen. i wish they'd do a lipstick-tube style remote like some of the sony pcdp's, with "menu-ability". as-is, it's pretty much useless to me. i don't think i've noticed much difference with the sound, but i know there are breakage issues...

kell

Aug 6, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 10
One problem with implementing a LCD display in the remote is the battery drain. People complain enough about the battery life on the iPod as it stands and draining it even more with a remote is usually not acceptable to people.

It's also hard to fit a lot of information on a smaller remote and having to do too much navigation is pointless to most people. And if you want all that information then the remote gets far too big (look at the one for the iRiver iHP-100).

Finally, cost is a big deal. I'm sure people aren't interested in paying another $50 on top of the already expensive price of the iPod.

Aug 6, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 10
i guess you're right, many good points, but i still want one. hehe.
i guess i just like to see what's going on, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

kell

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 10
I heard rumors that the docking Ipods might be coming out with a real wireless remote that should be full featured. This is more for use when you have your Ipod docked and hooked up to your stereo. Not really a remote for travel. There is also talk of wi-fi downloading so you can leave your Ipod docked at the stereo and transfer music to it from your pc. These upgrades are supposed to come in the way of new docks that you can buy at extra cost.

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Heh, I would like a LCD remote as well. I'm sure they could figure out a way of stuffing an extra battery into one without making it too big.

Ooo... hooking up my iPod to my home system... bleh. The sound quality is bad enough in headphones, why would I want to have that playing through my high end system?
tongue.gif

(Yes, I do have an iPod. Yes, I have tried all of the compression methods and settings. Yes, most cymbals sound like someone is frying bacon in my ear. Of course, I also prefer vinyl to CD and SACD.)

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 10
I find the remote pretty useless, and would prefer to just wear the case on my belt, and physically change songs using the Ipod.
One word of warning though...There have been many cases on IpodLounge of the plastic covering on the remote jack, dislodging from the wire when removing the remote from the Ipod.
I find the Ipod and the Ety 4P to be a perfect combination of portability and decent quality sound. Instead of using the remote, you can build a large "On-the Fly" playlist for doing workouts or other long lasting actities. Now if the remote was wireless, I would find it useful, as previously stated by other posters. As Far as hooking it up to a decent home stereo, I would prefer to just burn a couple a hundred songs on a cdr and use the remote that comes with your cd/dvd player for volume and song selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back