Ety vs. Grado
Nov 4, 2001 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
What can I expect of the Etys (the "regular," non-P model) coming from a Grado RS-1 background? Differences, similarites, radical differences, more pleasurable, less, less fatiguing, etc.

Best,
Matttttt

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 9
In all fairness I have only very briefly heard any of the Grado headphones - the SR-60 but I can hopefully give you some insight into the Etymotic sound.

Firstly, they are worth sticking with - you really need to experiment with different insertion techniques until you find one that's right for you. Once you get that right you should expect the following:-

* Much greater detail. This is due to a combination of the advanced drivers and the unique isolation properties.

* Very deep and tuneful bass that you can hear rather than feel. This take some getting used to but I much prefer it.

* Beautiful non-fatiguing sound. Don't think that these are overly 'mellow' - they just make everything sound so real without adding extremes to the sound.

* A blissed out look on your face:) You just can't help it.

One thing you need to realise with these unique headphones though is that they cannot be taken lightly. It can be a real pain in the neck (not to mention ears) to continually take these things out to hear what's going on. With that in mind, I really think they work at their best when you're sat down and on your own with no distractions.

When walking around, I tend to prefer listening through my Sony 888's - there's less 'body' noise transmitted to the headphone and I'm not quite so paranoid about breaking them (although I must admit I would be very upset if I did).

I hope you find as much joy with the Etymotics as I did. As an additional note, get the ER4P model (you can change to the 4S specifications with a simple adaptor cable) - you really can have the best of both worlds.

I hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Hey matttttttt,

I can give you some advice regarding the etys vs. the grado 325. (not quite what you were asking for, but might help)

Basically, where the grados shine is in their midrange. It's magical. For small ensembles. Solo instrumental work. Vocals. Anything orchestral or with more complexity than a few layers of music, and the grados start to show their weakness. They're a little slow and mushy and show their imbalance.

The highs are harsh, and too forward for my tastes. Bright. At first I thought it was the amp, but no...it was the cans.

The bass is reasonably deep, and has good impact at high volumes. It's detailed, although a little slow and can get in the way of the other frequencies in bass-heavy music.

Overall, the grados are impressive upon first listen -- very involving and dynamic. A big "wow" factor. Yet after awhile, their weaknesses started to grow on me. And grow. They are by no means bad headphones -- there are simply better choices out there. Now, the RS-1's could be completely different -- retain the signature grado sound, yet not have the weaknesses of the 325s. I don't know. I don't like to make assumptions about headphones I've never listened to. For their price, the RS-1s should be a significant improvement over the 325s.

Now, the etys are in a whole nother ballpark. But they need power. Lots of power. Don't think you'll get close to the full benefit of the etys by using the jack out of a pcdp. The grados are great in that they sound close to their best out of a low-powered source. When powered correctly, the etys will have a brilliant bass response. As deep as you can hear. And you can hear everything in the bass. No blobs or 1-note bass at all. You don't feel the bass on your outer ear like the grados, but that's due to design. You still feel it inside your ear, which is pretty incredible for such itty bitty headphones.

The details with the etys are astonishing -- like taking a microscope to the music. Everything is extracted, making the listening experience just about as involving as headphones can get. Everything sounds soooo realistic and right. Highs are sparkling and crystal clear -- not fatiguing, yet not rolled off either. I can hear no roll-off, despite what others say. Maybe their hearing is better than mine. Again, it takes lots of power to get the sparkling, pristine highs, otherwise it will sound rolled off.

The isolation I need not mention -- I'm sure you already know that if someone snaps a finger in front of you while you're listening, you won't hear a thing.

Basically, I find the etys to head and shoulders above the grados (SR-325). I have found them better than any speaker I have listened to.

But you didn't need me to tell you all this...I'd be willing to predict anyone who responds to this thread who owns both the etys and grados will tell you the etys are better.

And if they say otherwise, I will edit their posts with my moderatorial powers
very_evil_smiley.gif
(j/k of course!)

Nov 5, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 9
roos, I have not listened to the cd3000's. If I get a chance to go the the headroom meet, I will be sure to post my findings on all the headphones I can lay my udders on
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 9
That's nice to know that you feel the Etys are better. MF it, I wannem! Now!

I don't quite know the whole P/S thing (which model to get)...what you are saying is that the P's wires are detachable and the S's aren't? How much do they sell the S wire (for the replacement of the P's) for?

I'm glad to hear that the highs sparkle and that you don't hear any roll-off. If anything, it means you have better hearing than they, as you can perceive what they cannot.

That isolation is sounding more and more delicious the more I hear about it. Especially with my loud-ass sisters and air conditioning units and all of that.

I was thinking about getting the S's, because ultimately I prefer it as audiophile as I can get. Wouldn't plugging in a replacement wire screw with the sound? I guess I need more info on my question above about the replacement wires...

I am psyched about these "cans"!

Thanks for the help so far.

Best,
Matt

Nov 5, 2001 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Matt, both S and P version have detachable cords -- however they are very difficult to remove and you'll probably damage them if you try. The only difference between the S and P is the pod which is attached in the middle of the cord. So if you buy an S version and want a P version, you gotta send them back to the company for them to change (plus + $50). However, what I recommend you do (and what I did), is buy the P version. Dan Pumphrey makes an adapter cable that attaches like an extension cord to the miniplug, and converts it to an S. Therefore you have the best of both worlds. The P version for your portable, and the S version for home listening on your amp.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Oh, and I just wanted to clarify the difference between P and S.

With the P, you get great efficiency. It'll work well on any player -- great bass, great mids, and great highs, although there is a slight roll off, but that is due to design.

With the P on a powerful, dedicated headamp, you don't really get a whole lot of improvement, although I can't say for certain, as I haven't tried this combo out in a long long time.

With the S, on a low-powered player, you get weakened bass, an overly smooth midrange, and slightly better and more extended highs.

With the S on a powerful, dedicated headamp, everything improves over the P.

Nov 5, 2001 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi again.

So an S with a headamp is better than a P with/without one. Got it. How much better, though? Incredibly noticeably or just slightly?

Like you said, the P is better for a portable such as the iPod, but how about the P vs. S both headamped?

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back