Ety tips flange or foam
Mar 16, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 25
Flight Hazard,
I'm sure Etymotic has taken these factors into account when designing these wonderful devices. Hopefully Don Wilson will see this post and clarify things!

Mar 16, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 25
I've had much better results with the foamies. And you don't have to lick them before you stick them in your ears.

Lextek
cool.gif

Mar 16, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Flight Hazard
I must disagree with anyone finding the flanged tips superior to the foam tips. Here’s why.

By inserting the flanged tip into the ear canal, you create a higher-than-ambient pressure condition in the outer ear. And what will the inner ear pressure be? Ambient. Congratulations. You’ve just created a difference in pressure. Is there any way to fix it? (besides taking the flanged tip out of your ear canal)? NOPE. You can’t raise the middle ear pressure (by doing the Valsalva maneuver), to above ambient for more than a few seconds, because the Eustachian tube will allow the air to vent out of the middle ear until the pressure is back down to ambient.

Nice, well informed post, Flight Hazard. Based on it, the fact that you're familiar with the Valsalva maneuver, your screen name, and your avatar, I would assume you're either a flight surgeon or a flyer. Am I close? If so, I hope you aren't responsible for that Falcon being so unceremoniously hauled away.
tongue.gif

Regarding the flanged tips: If the seal were perfect I would agree with you. But the seal is far from perfect and the compressed air in the canal will equalize in a minute or so. I've found that doing a Valsalva will hasten the process by distending the eardrum momentarily, thus forcing a small amount of the the air past the tip. Within seconds, assuming no Eustachian tube blockage, the inner ear pressure will equalize and the Etys will be ready to rock.

As you stated, the whole issue can be avoided by using foamies. But for those of us able to adapt to the flanged tips, I believe they offer a faster, more consistent seal.

Mar 16, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 25
PD the foam tips deliver the best sound.
Thanks to Flight Hazard who explainede it so well.
Please see my threads re foam tips dater 03/02 & 03/05.
Since then I have trimmed the larger foam tips for a great fit and seal and superb sound.

Mar 16, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad

Here's one foamie alternative. (You won't need the additional tubes.)

http://www.earsupply.com/v7commerce/...Code=CompyTips

Does anyone here actually prefer this alternative to those offered by Etymotics?

The problem with the silicon flange tips is that once I've acheived the ideal seal fleetingly, they soon slip out of position and I'm back to the sound of an HLF filter. I learned not to use silcon on the subway long ago.

Mar 16, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad

Here's one foamie alternative. (You won't need the additional tubes.)

http://www.earsupply.com/v7commerce/...Code=CompyTips

Does anyone here actually prefer this alternative to those offered by Etymotics?

The problem with the silicon flange tips is that once I've achieved the ideal seal fleetingly, they soon slip out of position and I'm back to the sound of an HLF filter. I learned not to use silicon on the subway long ago.

Mar 16, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt

The problem with the silicon flange tips is that once I've acheived the ideal seal fleetingly, they soon slip out of position and I'm back to the sound of an HLF filter. I learned not to use silcon on the subway long ago.

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I do prefer them to the coarser Ety foamies. Their texture is smoother so they collect less wax and are easier to keep clean. They're also softer and more compressible which makes them easier to insert and wear for extended periods.

The only thing I don't like is that it takes 30 to 60 seconds for them to regain their size after being compressed for insertion. During this time, they have to be held in position. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be exasperating if you get a lot of interruptions requiring their removal.

I have no real problems with the flange tips, so I don't use foamies often. When I do, I prefer these.

Mar 16, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 25
I just got home from work. I tried that 45 degree angle and was able to insert flanged earplugs in far enough to work well. Thanks. I did notice that with a change in elevation(2500 feet to 4000 feet) that the pressure in the ear became uncmfortable, requiring and adjustment of the plugs. I don't have this problem with the foamies. Please note that I don't have the Ety's yet. This is just testing with hearing protectors. I also noticed that foam plugs give more isolation than flange, especially in the midrange fequencies.
I started this thread because I was concerned about the cost of using foam tipped Ety's on daily basis. For up to 8 hours a day. I never wear foam plugs more than once. Thanks to Spad I can use the flange tips some of the time, and the foam tips more sparingly.

Mar 17, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 25
Mr. PD,

Foamies should last for a least a few weeks. Because I prefer the flanged tips, I've never tried to be very conservative with them. But I think the usual drill is to wash them in a clean sock and let them air dry. I've never done this, so I haven't a clue as to how well it works.

Perhaps a dedicated foamie user can better advise us both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back